Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter one way or the other. I live in Portland, Or and it has a disproportinate age in its population. The majority is a younger population of yuppies, hipsters, Political activists Feminists, hippies, homeless and panhandlers. Many counter cultures types. So with that said its probably understandable the older person is not spoken to much. Very few people speak to me, as I always seem to start conversations here unlike any place I have ever lived. With so many residents being younger they are not going to listen long or show much interest. Those that do approach to speak unfortunately are people that are panhandling money or soliticiting signatures for ballot initiatives. So at least being spoken to for something beyond what I mentioned would be a vast improvement. Senior or Senior citizen either or.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
There is a catagory for every age.

Infants
Toddlers
Tweens
Teens
young adults (20 - 30 somethings)
adults (30 - 40 somethings)
middle aged (beyond 45-45 to
Senior

It depends upon who is calling me Senior Citizen. If it's for a discount someplace they can call me Bob for all I care; just give me the price break. As long as it isn't said disrespectfully I don't mind. A Senior title in other areas are positive: senior in school, senior in the work place or senior golf player.

Senior to me indicates more experience. But not many people are going to use that in a title addressing me as in "Senior Minerva" unless of course I was Spanish but that's a whole different story.

So no, I don't mind. To me the title just means one has reached a certain age, 65, maybe or whatever age you can get those good old senior discounts.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 AM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
I don't mind being called 'Senior Citizen', it's usually a sign of respect and beat's being called an 'old fart'.
And the amenities afforded to seniors are un-beatable.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,323,572 times
When did discounts for seniors first start up? Does anyone know? Just curious...I don't remember discounts like this years ago...My Grandma never received any special price-breaks when she was alive.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
When did discounts for seniors first start up? Does anyone know? Just curious...I don't remember discounts like this years ago...My Grandma never received any special price-breaks when she was alive.
As far as I can remember discounts for Seniors have been around. Probably 50 or more years.
It used to be years ago a Senior had to ask if the business offered a Senior discount. Even today at many places you still have to ask. Several reasons for that. Some businesses don't want to offend someone who may or may not be a Senior insinuating they are old when offering a Senior discount. Some businesses don't want to give away anymore money than they have to or advertise openly the discount. And some people don't like being recognized as Seniors publicly so unless you ask, the business may not want to offend you.
Today in order to attract additional business from Seniors more and more businesses are offering discounts for Seniors, just like they offer ladies discount days, or veterans discounts, etc etc. Hotels and motels saw this advantage years ago offering Senior and/or AARP discounts.
Most businesses now realize that a huge part of the population today are made up of Seniors with huge buying power and options as to where they decide to shop. Most restraruants offer Senior discounts, look for the Senior menu section or disclosure on the menu offering the discount.
Still today you must ask if not offered. I do everytime I shop and am surprised at the money I save.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Dang never thought of that. If it is a cutie behind the counter she might give you another 5%. Good thinking. Who can turn down a smiling and charming old geezer?
I also find that there are times when it's beneficial to play the old lady card. There's a knack to it, though. It doesn't work with people your own age who are onto that "scam." It's sort of like when I wanted to get out of doing something when I was young and married and "doing a bad job" so I would get pity...and assistance.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM

My husband became a "senior" before I did...I was still a "wannabe senior" or a "junior" and didn't qualify for any of the discounts...It was hard for us to view ourselves as "seniors' at first....We didn't fall "right in line."....For one thing we still had big appetities and worried that the meals on the "senior menu" might be too small for us....Now we do "senior meals" more often because we eat less...We take advantage of any discount we can get...Guess you could say that we have come to terms with being called "seniors" in this respect but it wasn't easy for us right off the bat....We had to adjust to it in gradual steps. Has anyone else felt like this?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
As far as I can remember discounts for Seniors have been around. Probably 50 or more years.
It used to be years ago a Senior had to ask if the business offered a Senior discount. Even today at many places you still have to ask. Several reasons for that. Some businesses don't want to offend someone who may or may not be a Senior insinuating they are old when offering a Senior discount. Some businesses don't want to give away anymore money than they have to or advertise openly the discount. And some people don't like being recognized as Seniors publicly so unless you ask, the business may not want to offend you.
Today in order to attract additional business from Seniors more and more businesses are offering discounts for Seniors, just like they offer ladies discount days, or veterans discounts, etc etc. Hotels and motels saw this advantage years ago offering Senior and/or AARP discounts.
Most businesses now realize that a huge part of the population today are made up of Seniors with huge buying power and options as to where they decide to shop. Most restraruants offer Senior discounts, look for the Senior menu section or disclosure on the menu offering the discount.
Still today you must ask if not offered. I do everytime I shop and am surprised at the money I save.
Thanks for the info....

Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
... I live in Portland, Or ... I always seem to start conversations here unlike any place I have ever lived. ...at least being spoken to for something beyond what I mentioned would be a vast improvement. Senior or Senior citizen either or.

Thus, You explain one of the issues prevalent in the PNW, I.E. the 'Seattle FREEZE' thread. While this 'stand-off-ish-ness' really bothers me, it doesn't most. (A WA person was commenting how he got a High Speed Garage door opener when he moved to Colorado because he couldn't stand his neighbors coming over to welcome him home from work ). Social scientists actually study the behavior pattern of the PNW, as it is quite uniquely 'Independent'. (I just blame it on the 'covered wagon exiles')

I, personally prefer a bit more casual and congenial relationships, tho am really a loner by nature. (not an anti-social one, just can be pleased keeping myself occupied).

As a senior, I enjoy the opportunities it gives me to take time for someone else.
And hopefully will not be hindered by a 'label'. (that would be a first )

Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM

11,085 posts, read 6,929,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Do you mind being called a "senior" or senior citizen?...I have never liked these terms. How do you feel about it? Thanks...
It beats being called "old lady" which I am not and certainly don't fit into what I call being an "old lady" but people do it anyway. "Senior citizen" or "Senior" is a big step up from there.

With the economy being what it is, and people over 50 not able to get jobs like they used to, they should lower the senior age to 50 and start charging less at restaurants and let people into senior housing starting at 50 instead of 62 or 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement