Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,732,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I forgot to mention that Grassroots Motorsports did a test, and while Kroil and PB Blaster did well, they got the best results with a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. One time a friend had a very sticky ignition lock on his car, not having anything else available I dipped the key in ATF and left it overnight in the lock. AFIK that lock is still working smoothly.
Thank you very much for that piece of information, I will be giving that a try! Do you know what type of ATF works best? I found a link to the forum post about it... according to them the liquid wrench is nearly as good as the kroil!!! Kroil is expensive stuff but it does work great! Would like to know more about this study...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,965,701 times
In theory a Square Peg will always fit into a Round hole if the edges are filed or sanded down enough.

You can drill down the center of a broken stud and tap with a hammer a special stud remover that has four sharp corners that will dig into the remaining stud and by turning counter clockwise unscrew the remaing stud. I had one of those in my tool box that I used for many yrs but have not seen it for a long time now since I retired. Maybe Snap On Tools will carry the item. This was not an Easy Out.

Steve

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,277,421 times
WOW, alot of replies here... alot of options! Its not like I have nothing to go on. Thanks for all of the info!!

I think I will try that soaking in PB blaster or that other stuff mentioned first and go from there with the recommended socket. If that dont work, I will do that "heat" trick that many has mentioned.

It may be a couple of days before I can get to it, but I will report back with the results. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 AM

749 posts, read 2,443,459 times
On really stubborn bolts a lot of times I'll double-wrench them off. Take the box end of the right size wrench and put it on the bolt and the take another similiar sized wrench and put the box end of that wrench and put it over the open end of the first wrench essentially making the wrench longer like a breaker bar.

Sometimes you can't get a socket or socket +extension straight on to a tough bolt and it likes to try and twist off and round out when you apply pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands