Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
In Britain, right up until about the last face-lift of the 9-5 they had a very good reputation for reliability. Terrible for resale though as over here when new they were pitched against 3 & 5 series BMWs and lower end Mercs and they just didn't hold their value in comparison.

They were and still are popular especially as a secondhand purchase. Over here people thought of them as an unusual but classy alternative to the German brands as was/is Alfa Romeo. Another thing was that a lot of companies had BMWs as company cars driven by reps' and they were everywhere whereas a Saab was rarer, more distinctive.
Make sense. Add to the fact that Top Gear has always had a thing for Saab's:
A tribute to Saab, part 2 (series 18, episode 5) - BBC Top Gear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
My owners manual has a list of saab dealerships at the time (2003.) Seems that Saabs were most popular in MA, NJ, and CA.

You see many of them here in eastern PA.

Their very very popular here, at least until they begin to really age and disappear.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Saab is/was a very popular vehicle on the East Coast, particularly New England. It featured very good handling and cornering in addition to being a good snow driver. Hopefully this niche brand will reappear again in the future. Former Saab owners generally gravitate toward Volvo, Volkswagon/Audi, or Subaru.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... once GM began fiddling with the company, it was on a sharp downhill slide from which it could not recover...
Agreed. The mid 2000 were showing this in some models.

I was pleasantly surprised by my 2 Saabs with the 2.3/4 in large cars (9000 and 9-5). I had owned many V-8 "supercars", a few BMW big 6s, and assorted Japanese cars. I learned to respect the (genuine) Saab 4's durability, reliability, and real-life performance. Most manufacturers are now offering Turbo 4s for affordable performance and mileage.

One other comment on Saabs and other similar "Eurocars", as they age, it's nice to have a convenient, skilled, independent mechanic nearby...if you don't do the work yourself

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,604 times
i like the saab's back in the 80's. i never really cared for saab once gm took em over.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM

249 posts, read 824,958 times
I love my '05 9-3 Turbo 5 speed. Best car, hands down I have ever owned. 160,000 miles and still going strong (knock on wood). Excellent in snow and great gas mileage no matter how fast I drive it.

There are still plenty of Saab's on the road in NJ.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
I saw a number of ads for new 2011 9-5 models at blowout prices after the bankruptcy happened. As in the high 20K range. Kind of wish I'd had bought one - there's a former Saab dealer not too far from here that still works on them.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM

780 posts, read 2,924,281 times
Not in my radar; not into small power and WWD either.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
I remember test-driving one about ten years (or more) ago - the salesman kept showing us how the dashboard cup holder did that breakdance maneuver when it was activated and deactivated. It was kind of interesting but sure did look like the first component that would break.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Got my first Saab back in 71. If I recall correctly it was a 63 or 64 shrike, given to me by my boyfriend who was the service manager at a Saab dealership. Only had it for about a year and he replaced it with another that was in a bit better condition. A couple of times when it was in the shop and the loaner cars where out to paying customers his boss let me take his old Jaguar. That was fun.

Friends teased me about having an old car that was a two stroke and a new motorcycle that was a four stroke.

Split up with him and headed for CA from NY. Blew up the engine in Wentzville, MO. Called him collect at his shop and had him send me a rebuilt engine. My brother and I replaced it in the campgrounds, with the campground owner giving us a hand with the loan of some tools. He even let us dispose of the old one by simply putting the tiny thing in the garbage can there. Had to baby that thing over the Rockies and the Sierras til I got to the bay area. Had that one for a few years and eventually got a wagon, still another old two stroke. It got hard to find competent mechanics to work on the old models and so in 81 I broke down and bought a brand new Honda.

But I sure did love my quirky old Saabs and the guy who got me started with them. We remained friends until his death in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands