Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Maybe it was the 9-5 then. I don't handle total losses, all I do it take reports and handle single vehicle non inj claims. A quick google search brought up this

9-5 Windshield Availability and Heads-Up Display Question - SaabCentral Forums

" The HUD windshield has a square section of glass that looks as if it tinted or something in order to project the HUD image.

All NG 9-5 windshields are very scarce. I recommend you join the International NG 9-5 group on Facebook. There's a long discussion about windshields, or lack there of."
BS again.

Just for grins, I checked on my local Novus glass shop ... which I prefer to use to the other guys because the local installers are real pro's here.

$264.95, installed with the reveal molding for the 9-5 car. Doesn't specify the HUD, so my bet is that it is without same. But is appears that the HUD will function still, just not quite as readable as it would be with the treated area of the windshield. In any event, losing the HUD functionality is hardly justification for totalling out a car that is otherwise "new" condition.

I suspect that the difference in our results on this search is that Saabs sold in this area of the USA, the Rocky Mountain region ... while down south, in Texas, it was a fairly rare car because the adverse climate driving conditions don't present there. Kinda' the same reason Subaru's are prevalent here and not very common in southern climes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times
As I stated in previous threads I still love my 2005 9-5 Aero Sportwagon. It is my 2nd Saab, the first a 1991 9000 5-door hatch was sold at 160k miles with only the clutch hydraulic cylinder being a 'non-normal' maintenance repair. It died at 180k+ when the driver was T-boned by a truck...all escaped OK.

Despite what some say, my current ride is a very good looking car (IMO and from comments I still receive), great seats that are extremely comfy on the road, very practical, and performs well. Sadly the demise and associated parts issues etc. will eventually rip it from my hands...and then I will try to find a similar replacement car ...maybe a BMW or Audi but neither seems to make the big sporty 'true' wagon anymore.

It is currently at 105k miles and no extraordinary failures or maintenance and still basically drives like new...I guess I am just fortunate so far.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...aab_hotdog.jpg

Oh, just to be balanced, I don't like the way it drives in the snow, so it is not out a lot in extreme winter conditions.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
BS again.

Just for grins, I checked on my local Novus glass shop ... which I prefer to use to the other guys because the local installers are real pro's here.

$264.95, installed with the reveal molding for the 9-5 car. Doesn't specify the HUD, so my bet is that it is without same. But is appears that the HUD will function still, just not quite as readable as it would be with the treated area of the windshield. In any event, losing the HUD functionality is hardly justification for totalling out a car that is otherwise "new" condition.

I suspect that the difference in our results on this search is that Saabs sold in this area of the USA, the Rocky Mountain region ... while down south, in Texas, it was a fairly rare car because the adverse climate driving conditions don't present there. Kinda' the same reason Subaru's are prevalent here and not very common in southern climes.
Again, that (exact)part is not available, the purpose of insurance is to restore the car to pre-loss condition. In an instance like that the insured could argue that the vehicle had not been restored to pre lost condition, and is not worth even less because the hud is non functional. If I remever correctly I think this person lived some where in the mid-atlantic region. I am not saying its right, but that's how some people are

Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I just got a 2003 9-3 arc with 93K for $6,300 at a dealership. This car is great! It's awesome in the snow, gets great gas MPG at high speeds and the turbo rocks. Anybody else miss these fine machines?
If you like it and have a place to do the maintenance and repairs yourself I can see how they'd make an excellent second car. If I were depending on it to get me places I'd probably stick to something more practical like a Mazda3 hatch or a Subaru.

Compared to what else is out there 9-3's don't seem like that good of a deal if you have to pay a mechanic to fix it. I looked at them, but the BMW 3 series has been the best car in it's class for decades. Good handling front wheel drive cars aren't a compelling segment the way they were back when Saab (and to some degree Acura) had a decent market presence.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
My Saab was a great car -- when it was running. I miss it and I don't.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
I loved my 93 Saab 9000. Probably the best engine I've ever owned. Great in snow, took a ton of abuse. Around 200K I started having issues with the AC and some power peripherals and in 2009 the tranny started slipping. I needed a catering vehicle so I gave it up for a crappy Jeep Patriot in the 'cash for clunkers' deal. Funny thing is that program was supposed to partly be about fuel efficiency and the Feds had my model listed as 22 mpg when I consistently got more than 30, while the Jeep was listed at 25 and I only get 22.

I was lucky to have a garage nearby owned by a guy who only works on Saabs and short track racing cars. He does a fantastic business.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
I'm a bit shocked of the mixed reviews about Saab. Let's cut the BS here -- Saab's are no less reliable than an Audi or Beemer. All Euro cars will be costly in the repair shop.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
I owned a 2003 Saab 9-5 ARC. I absolutely loved the car. It looked great, it was roomy, it handled well, it was extremely fast, but it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with 34K and had non stop problems with it and that led to me getting rid of it. Regardless of costs, it is still one of my favorite cars that I have owned. I think I may have had a lemon because my sister has a 9-3 that has been around the country and back with over 150k on it. SHe has never had any problems at all with it except minor things here and there. Her Saab was the reason I bought mine. Still think its a great vehicle...always wanted a Saab Viggen.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,234 times
Ohhh how I wish I would not have seen your post! I got my first Saab, an 84 900Turbo, in 1987 when I was at the University of Oklahoma. Loved that it was the one and only on campus and do not remember seeing more than one other Saab in OKC either.
What a fun car for winter and spring break ski trips to Colorado too! I felt sadly when I finally sold it right before graduation and it rolled over 200k miles....
After landing squarely in adult/parenthood, I found myself leasing the 9-5 wagons for several years. What an awesome car for living in a ski resort town! Never needed AWD, just a great set of snowtires kept me going strong for 11 winters.
In the summer of 08', we moved down to Salt Lake City as the Saab Story started to heat up. On top of the never ending rumour mill about GM and Saab splitting up and the fact that skiing in either Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons would REQUIRE chains or AWD with snowtires, I finally broke up with my beloved brand of car. I was lucky enough to sell my 9-3 wagon at a time when they were very hard to come by and also stumbled upon a great 4Matic wagon. Now the Sheriff just waves me through on powder days but I surely do miss a Saab..

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I had an old Sabb 900 when I lived out west, I loved that car someone hit it when I was at work never found out who it was they totaled it. Just for the record I never had a problem out of mine.

Last edited by reed067; 12-28-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands