Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

85 posts, read 224,456 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease on April 30th for a SFH rental. Being that I live out of state I had a friend take pics and I saw the house on May 1st when I picked up the key and paid the first months rent. I was given a Move In Inspection report with my lease and a "Tenants Handbook".

I noticed that the walls needed a serious paint job. I filled in my Report faxed it over along with an email to the Property manager on the 3rd. I never heard anything from her. I called her on the 10th and she brushed me off stating that the Landlords will not be painting and that if I wanted to paint the can of the "builders white" was in the garage!

She stated that she did get my email and that she hadn't heard from the Landlord. This is not professional for there are guidelines that need to be followed in regards to the Move In Inspection Report. It clearly has not been honored by the Property Manager.

I looked over the lease and nothing states that the walls are "as is". I also read the Tenant handbook that the Property manager informed me was "generic". In it it states that " the walls upon moving out must be unmarred". What can I do if they were marred upon me signing the lease? Who is to say that my deposit won't be kept due to the walls looking in their stated condition if I don't paint? I can be liable if they feel the paint isn't up to par. That's why I need to hear from the Landlords.

I believe the Property Manager hasn't mentioned anything to them at all. Last night I emailed the Property Managers Supervisor.
I haven't heard anything and I simply don't know what to do. We are due to move in next weekend.

Last edited by Optimistic; 05-12-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
The only thing I can really suggest is that you take more pictures on the day that you move in - make sure they're dated - so that if you can't get the painting issue resolved during your tenancy you'll have later proof that the walls were in that condition when you moved in. Hopefully others will have additional suggestions. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Good example of why one should never rent something sight unseen. However, in your case simply send them a certified letter stating the condition of the walls, take photos, and get permission (in writing) to paint if you want.

I am confused about your reference to "the landlord". The property manager is your landlord. The owner is not. The owner may have to give permission for certain things but your contract is with the management company, not the owner directly. Or, is the property manager not a licensed realtor just some friend of the owner?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I'm a little confused. Do you not have the opportunity to include the condition of the walls on the move in inspection report?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm a little confused. Do you not have the opportunity to include the condition of the walls on the move in inspection report?
See para 2 of the post.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
See para 2 of the post.
So is the OP saying they are refusing to acknowledge the current state of the walls?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So is the OP saying they are refusing to acknowledge the current state of the walls?
I'm getting confused by your confusion . Yes, it would seem so judging by what was said in the post and which the OP is trying to sort out which was the essence of the thread.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 PM

85 posts, read 224,456 times
I just called the Realtor Office and I am assuming that everyone is to be alerted if I call. I spoke with the Property Managers Supervisor's Assistanrt who informed that she is away and that I can't speak with her. I was then told that my concerns will be forwarded to the Property Manager and that she will be in touch with me. I am crying right now because I hate to be mistreated when I am paying my monies for something. What has happened to common courtesy and decency?

Yes I realised I signed the lease without seeing it. I saw pictures and I didn't think that the whole house needed to be repainted. I thought somply touched up here and there. What happened to my Move In Inspection Report?? The VRTLA speaks candidly in the bylaws how that Report is to be handled. Mine is being totally ignored.

I am really considering getting an attorney. This is not how people are to do business. All I want is to have my Move In Inspection honored. What is wrong with that? I followed the proper protocol why aren't they. I wish I could get some answers this is very frustrating.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Maybe the question lies in what exactly this Move In Inspection is supposed to cover.

On our rentals, it is only filled out so that you don't get charged for damage that already existed before you moved in. It isn't a list of things you want fixed or updated. Does yours state something different than that?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Stop crying, take a deep breath and wait to see what happens. Rome wasn't built in a day, this is a simple glitch which will more than likely be resolved very quickly. Chill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting