Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times

Advertisements

Call INS is the proper thing to do;they are illegal and that is everyones business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times
To the OP, forget about INS(which is not what it is called now) or USCIS, they don't do that work, the enforcement is done by ICE as I have mentioned, see the ICE website:
Contact Us (http://www.ice.gov/about/contact.htm - broken link)
It says: Please call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE to report immigration or customs violations.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Even those that are well aware it is now the USCIS (after briefly being the BCIS or something) still tend to call it INS lol - so get off your high horse
Welcome to city-data, to quote me you can click on the "Reply with Quote" button, otherwise it seems your replying to the OP (just some advice if your going to post in CD (that is short for city-data))

There is no disrespect meant in my advice to ignore such advice, I think it is safe to say that it is not well-informed advice and that the OP is better served ignoring it. You can agree or disagree, but I'm just trying to help the OP out. If I asked for help on an issue, I would much appreciate it if people helped me out as to what advice to ignore, and what to pay attention to. I know everyone wants to help out, but everyone is not well informed, and the OP should be aware of that before they search for agencies that don't exist .

Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Yes , thank you - I am well aware of how to quote you (if I wanted to - which I don't) - I just thought it was a little high handed of you to tell the OP to "ignore advice" purely based on your perception of whether the "right" agency name was used or not.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Good luck getting ICE, the police or code enforcement to do anything about them. I would be shocked if they did. I've tried and they just won't do anything.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Good luck getting ICE, the police or code enforcement to do anything about them. I would be shocked if they did. I've tried and they just won't do anything.
I think you are correct....

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zraovez View Post
I am the owner of the apartment. they told me they do not have any papers to verify the lease.
Am I reading this right? They don't have any lease papers?

Are they squatters?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Am I reading this right? They don't have any lease papers?

Are they squatters?
I think that is what the OP was trying to say but didn't know how to word it.....

Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Without a legal right to be in the US, there would be no need to go thru the eviction process.

You could put them out, they wont be taking you to court, but there may be ramifications you don't want,
move on and rent elsewhere and remain in the country.

How long it takes the INS to act, is something I have no familiarity, but who I'd contact.

How did you come across this info, Do they pay rent in cash?
This isn't true. Courts don't care about the immigration status of tenants. If you want to evict them, you need to follow your jurisdiction's eviction laws. You are exposed to the same liability if you violate your jurisdiction's eviction laws, illegal immigrant or not. You obviously have cause because of their longterm "guests."

Illegal immigrants do take landlords to court all the time, like I said before their immigration status is not relevant to whether they can sue you or have contractual or tenant rights under the state law. If this wasn't true, you could sign an illegal immigrant to a lease, change the locks after day 1, keep all their stuff and sell it, keep all deposits, and do it over and over again, as they would have no recourse.

As for reporting an illegal immigrant to ICE, good luck with that. The last time I checked, ICE only did large scale investigations regarding large employers that institutionalize immigration fraud and criminal "rings" like coyotes and marriage fraud brokers. ICE also has a program where it deports illegal immigrants about to be released from prison for committing real crimes, but they do not investigate individual allegations whether a person is illegal or not. They also will deport people who have already been ordered deported by an immigration court because they applied for asylum or a visa and were denied. They only do this because these people have already been found to be illegal by an immigration judge and they have a specific order of deportation, plus they know where these people live (or they are in prison). They aren't set up to investigate millions of undocumented aliens, you'd need an agency the size of the U.S. military to do that.

Honestly, I've found the best way to get illegal immigrants to leave is simply to ask them to move out. Many of them don't understand the eviction process and you are not obligated to tell them that they can stick it to you for months. Plus, if you offer some financial assistance to move, most will take it.

Last edited by slim04; 02-17-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,603 times
that sucks. im trying to get my mom out of my house she has been living with me for 9 months. i am only 27 years old i am her oldest kid none of my other brothers or sister are willing to take her out of my hands, she is 46 years old job less cause she is illegal to be in the u.s. she is very aggressive and possesive. i am a u.s citizen and i wanted to help her out for a bit cause she is my mom but i made a terrible mistake and now i asked her to leave because we keep having arguments and makes threaths to hit me and she wants me to hit her so she can put me in jail and the honest truth my wife is pregnant and she cant handle this stress and i dont know what to do to get her out. i live in california i asked her to leave months ago and said no, i asked her to leave a week ago and she said the only way she is leaving is if i move out of my own home! why the hell should i move my wife and my kids just because i want her out. can she really take more time if i evict her legally by court? any advice is appreciated i contacted ice and they dont handle these kinds of situations regardless of her being illegal. hopefully thtat answers the ice questions....

Last edited by theprovider*mrruiz; 02-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: needed to add more stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting