Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 AM

108 posts, read 570,267 times

Advertisements

find apartments and rent? are some landlords lax or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
I'm sure many landlords do not run a criminal records check, but how's your credit report, income verification and rental history look?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
If the criminal act is recent, like within 2 years, I may question it. But, if it's an older conviction and I can verify past landlord references, I'll usually let it go. Of course, it also depends on what type of criminal act was committed. If you're a murderer, I ain't renting to ya! LOL But, a DUI/DWI isn't a big deal to me, as long as it's not recent.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I'm sure many landlords do not run a criminal records check, but how's your credit report, income verification and rental history look?
Too bad for a tenant coming to me...I was almost scammed but do to my check I figured out on time what was going on and that person lived in my street for years and was a realtor...only when things didn't add up I started to do some research and came across 3 felony charges and convictions.
I always thought that a realtor wasn't able to obtain alicense if they were convicted and the bs that they are finger printed....only if the Licensing board does their job which clearly isn't always the case.

The whole situation has appaled me so much that I wouldn't rent to a convicted felon! Unless it was something like 20 years ago and the person has now good credentials...basically turned their life around and I do believe in a 2nd change....but that has to be proven for a long time.

I don't want to be the donkey and people telling me later on, you knew and you still went in it with open eyes. Specially in todays economy when jobs are harder to be kept and criminality is on the rise...I want people with the best credentials I can get....which for me isn't too hard since my properties are in the best locations and even though I haven't anything posted online I received 4 calls last week...so I can be picky but fair. After all we have the fair housing law, but that doesn't mean I have to rent to a convicted felon...

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
find apartments and rent? are some landlords lax or what?
They do, I can assure you. The property where I'm living sold to another management company 1 1/2 yrs ago, no background checks now. I've been here along time. I can already see a difference.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Socialserve.com - Find Affordable Housing

You can search for housing that does not do criminal checks, credit checks, and accept section 8.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 17,287 times
where you stay at

Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
If the criminal act is recent, like within 2 years, I may question it. But, if it's an older conviction and I can verify past landlord references, I'll usually let it go. Of course, it also depends on what type of criminal act was committed. If you're a murderer, I ain't renting to ya! LOL But, a DUI/DWI isn't a big deal to me, as long as it's not recent.

What about accessory to armed robbery that was 40 years ago when they were 18 and nothing since then?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 21,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
[URL="http://www.socialserve.com/"]Socialserve.com - Find Affordable Housing[/URL]

You can search for housing that does not do criminal checks, credit checks, and accept section 8.
Do you know of any in Raleigh, NC?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Something that happened 40 years ago should be of little concern to a landlord if you're upfront about it. Honesty goes a long way with me. If you try to hide a conviction, it gives me more reason to look harder for other problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting