Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 27,023 times

Advertisements

Hey landlords,

I am a concerned tenant. Last year me and two friends signed an apartment lease. Needless to say, one of the guys bailed and the whole rent issue dragged out into the summer.

The day before issue went to court, all the money somehow was ponied up.

So basically I receive an email saying:

"No need to show up. We will dismiss the case tomorrow morning."

The only real worry I have is that the court will make record of it and thus my record is blemished, since my "case was in court". If the landlord asks for the case to be dismissed in court will it by on my record?

What websites / agencies do landlords use to check tenants? I just signed up on mysmartmove.com and maybe if all fails sign up as a landlord and send my own results to myself to make sure.

I just checked my credit report and the case was in June so if it was going to show up, it should have by now.

Finally,

Do most landlords ask for a reference for only the previous landlord? I am living in my fraternity house this year and the guy loves me.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
If the case was dismissed then there should be no judgement on your record. If I were you I would call the court or go online at its website and with the case number you had, look it up. Agreed, that if the incident happened in June it would likely be on your credit report by now but you cannot bank on that. check for yourself and get a copy of the Dismissal just in case you need it.

We call the last 2 landlords.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Google , public records in your county or go to the Court House/Clerks office and check it. Better safe than sorry....

Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
We actually usually do not contact the current landlord, as if you are moving out at their request, they have a vested interest in helping you find somewhere else to go. We typically call previous landlords only, as you usually get the unvarnished truth from them.

I agree with KonaKat's advice. No judgment probably means no blemish on your credit. But it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedrenter View Post
Hey landlords,

I am a concerned tenant. Last year me and two friends signed an apartment lease. Needless to say, one of the guys bailed and the whole rent issue dragged out into the summer.

The day before issue went to court, all the money somehow was ponied up.

So basically I receive an email saying:

"No need to show up. We will dismiss the case tomorrow morning."

The only real worry I have is that the court will make record of it and thus my record is blemished, since my "case was in court". If the landlord asks for the case to be dismissed in court will it by on my record?

What websites / agencies do landlords use to check tenants? I just signed up on mysmartmove.com and maybe if all fails sign up as a landlord and send my own results to myself to make sure.

I just checked my credit report and the case was in June so if it was going to show up, it should have by now.

Finally,

Do most landlords ask for a reference for only the previous landlord? I am living in my fraternity house this year and the guy loves me.

Cheers
NOt showing up for court was a big mistake. Its very possible that the landlord told you that a ploy to get a default judgement. However you should be able to find out by pulling your own credit report, you get one free a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting