Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 PM

549 posts, read 1,381,288 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of animosity on this board in various posts regarding renters v. owners. As someone that has been both, there is an attitude that renters are somewhat less deserving of living in a home. I disagree.

The only thing between a renter v. a homeowner is the ability to do almost any thing you like in and around your property. Granted, the HOA's out here are a PITA when someone wants to change something on the outside of their property. By the same token, HOA's are decent when it comes to keeping a subdivision looking rather uniform and kept up.

Whether I rent or I own there is little difference except the bank didn't come in to my home to check on the state of the property. I kept a better yard than my owner neighbors.

So, what is your thought? Owner slobs and renter caretakers or renter slobs and owner caretakers. IMHO, whether you rent or own it doesn't make a difference. It is the kind of person you are and how you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,658 times
I currently rent. I am so embarrassed about where we live because of the slobs who don't take care of it! I was raised well, so I don't make a mess. I clean up after myself. I don't have a stinky apt that's going to bother other people.

Also, apartment complexes that take Section 8, imo, are the ones to avoid. My apt complex does, and it's just filled with people who do not work...I guess if you don't have to pay for anything, why take care of it?

Personally, I kind of like renting. I haven't owned yet..and I'd like to eventually. Renting gives you some freedom. It's easier to move from place to place (or even city!).

Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,019,656 times
i'd rather have the owners than the renters... because things get outtawack, the hoa is going to fine the owner

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

259 posts, read 706,159 times
Think of all the buyers forced to walk away from the homes they could no longer afford and the associated troubles that come along with doing something like that, you can imagine every one of them wishing they had been renters.

When push comes to shove it's a lot cheaper and easier to walk away from a rental without damaging your credit. Leave the place clean and in good shape plus pay an extra months rent up front to go with your last months rent & deposits is usually enough to walk away without dinging your credit..
Leave the place a mess and you can forget about an easy exit.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM

16 posts, read 49,828 times
At my last home I owned I had renters next to me (about 5 renters on my street that I knew of) and they took great care of the place. treated it as if they owned it. Had the one nieghbor (owned his Home) get free left over sod from were ever he could (even putting green grass lol) needless to say it looked bad.So I dont understand how anyone can be byass of a renter vs owner. and with so many owners getting forclosed on they are gunna be renters now.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
I have seen a lot of animosity on this board in various posts regarding renters v. owners. As someone that has been both, there is an attitude that renters are somewhat less deserving of living in a home. I disagree.

The only thing between a renter v. a homeowner is the ability to do almost any thing you like in and around your property. Granted, the HOA's out here are a PITA when someone wants to change something on the outside of their property. By the same token, HOA's are decent when it comes to keeping a subdivision looking rather uniform and kept up.

Whether I rent or I own there is little difference except the bank didn't come in to my home to check on the state of the property. I kept a better yard than my owner neighbors.

So, what is your thought? Owner slobs and renter caretakers or renter slobs and owner caretakers. IMHO, whether you rent or own it doesn't make a difference. It is the kind of person you are and how you live.
But when the property is wrecked or becomes worthless, it is the property owner who will lose out

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,852,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
IMHO, whether you rent or own it doesn't make a difference. It is the kind of person you are and how you live.
This.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,680,774 times
I totally think it depends on who is renting and the property owner themself.
I have seen home owners who lived like slobs and renters who really really take pride in their places.
I think one issue involved is LANDLORDS who don't maintain their rentals...you can't expect a renter to paint the outside of a house ect.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,771,478 times
I've been both - I rented my cabin while I was out-of-state for a couple of years and used an agent that pre-screened my renters. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved back home that my cabin was in excellent condition (just a few minor things amiss) - no damage to the wood walls, frig worked, etc. All that said, it depends on the character of the person no matter if they are a renter or owner --- check out the neighborhood before one rents or buys.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,680,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I currently rent. I am so embarrassed about where we live because of the slobs who don't take care of it! I was raised well, so I don't make a mess. I clean up after myself. I don't have a stinky apt that's going to bother other people.

Also, apartment complexes that take Section 8, imo, are the ones to avoid. My apt complex does, and it's just filled with people who do not work...I guess if you don't have to pay for anything, why take care of it?

Personally, I kind of like renting. I haven't owned yet..and I'd like to eventually. Renting gives you some freedom. It's easier to move from place to place (or even city!).
FYI in Vegas (and many areas out West) Almost ALL apartments are required to take a certain percentage of section 8. We don't have the huge housing projects one see's back East. While it does eliminate inner city war zones, to some degree I think it also contributes to the city wide spread petty crime issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting