Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,920 times

Advertisements

i pay 500 dollers a month for my motohome and for elect to park on property i singed a contract for amount per month only. i have paid every month twice i was a week late. she turns off my electric when im late and when im not home if she hears my ac unit on. which turns off my fridge and batteries drain. can she do that or do i have rights. because ive never had an apartment were if you were late or your air is on the landlord could turn off my power,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM

203 posts, read 927,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman4596 View Post
i pay 500 dollers a month for my motohome and for elect to park on property i singed a contract for amount per month only. i have paid every month twice i was a week late. she turns off my electric when im late and when im not home if she hears my ac unit on. which turns off my fridge and batteries drain. can she do that or do i have rights. because ive never had an apartment were if you were late or your air is on the landlord could turn off my power,
Probably not(in any state or province)...........

.........just a wild and crazy thought, but why don't you pay on time? my mortgage company always wants the mortgage on time.......and they'll take away more than the electricity!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I have no experience with motorhome parking complexes. Do you pay a power bill directly, or is it part of your rent for the space? If it is part of your space rent, and you are late paying, I would shut power off on you too. You are lucky she hasn't had you towed out of there, especially since you are on a month to month contract. Why would she continue to go more in debt against an unpaid bill?

Either way, read the paperwork you signed. Does it say that you are only allowed to run the air conditioning while you are there? Otherwise, I can't imagine she could be in the right to shut your power off if you paid your bill.

Some areas of the country, you have to run air in the summer or parts of the house start melting. That happened to my grandparents winter home in southern Utah. The plastic parts of the windows melted and the windows wouldn't open anymore, had to replace them.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Either way, read the paperwork you signed. Does it say that you are only allowed to run the air conditioning while you are there? Otherwise, I can't imagine she could be in the right to shut your power off if you paid your bill.

X2. Read the contract and its provisions for remedy of default and late payment of rent. Often there is a grace period of a few days after the 1st in which you can still pay the rent and not suffer any penalties.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
In California, it is illegal to turn off a renter's utilities. You might want to check your local laws.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
AFAIK its illegal most places to shut off utilities if they are in the tenants name, but the OP seems to be talking about a parking area, where it sounds like the utilities are in one common service. They probably are within their rights to shut off power to a certain lot if the bill isn't paid.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
In my trailer, I have to pay utilities myself.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Some thing tells me MOVE... Are you UTD on rent when she turns off the electric when you are away? IF Yes This is illegal in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting