Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 AM

24 posts, read 69,514 times

Advertisements

I moved out of a room on July 31. Said he would subtract the last of the bills from the security deposit and send them too me. I emailed him 3 weeks later asking what happened to my deposit, and he said he has subtracted the money but then found some stains in the carpet caused my the pets, or so he says. I did pay a $200 non-refundable refundable pet fee.

So today is day 47 and he finally got back to me and says he doesn't feel the $200 will cover the carpet cleaning and wants to charge me an extra $30 and will get the carpets cleaned later. What should I do?

And my state is NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Google the landlord tenact act for your state, it is spelled out clearly what has to happen with your deposit, it also has to include interest (at least in MD it did) the LLT will tell you what he can and cannot legally do.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Consider yourself lucky, non-refundable pet fees do not have to be applied
after move-out for damages caused by your pet, its a fee to allow you
to have the pet.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 PM

He charged pet rent too. Then what is that for?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 118,395 times
I am in Raleigh, NC and a landlord. Your landlord has 30 days to attempt to give you your security deposit, and/or a list itemizing any deductions from that deposit. This must be in writing. This is if you have provided a forwarding address.

Did you do a final walkthrough with the landlord when you moved out and handed over the keys? That's important. If pet stains were found after that it would be the landlord's word against yours as to who's to blame.

The pet fee and the pet rent are both additional fees for you having a pet. Pet rent is not common in Raleigh in my experience. It is common in other parts of the country.

Tell the landlord to provide three estimates from professional carpet cleaning contractors. Then tell him you will will pay for the lowest estimate. This is likely what a small claims judge will say if you have to go there.

Good luck

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
In my non refundable pet fees isn't incl. if the pets made stains...It is for excesive cleaning but not stains in carpet....that weren't there. Pet's will cause extra cleaning due to shedding and the little hair's going every where, etc... I have 2 dogs my self and one isn't shedding, but still you have more cleaning than without pets.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,725 times
It's also important to note that some insurance companies have higher rates where pets for properties where are allowed. So, that is also justification for charging pet rent.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeeper View Post
I am in Raleigh, NC and a landlord. Your landlord has 30 days to attempt to give you your security deposit, and/or a list itemizing any deductions from that deposit. This must be in writing. This is if you have provided a forwarding address.

Did you do a final walkthrough with the landlord when you moved out and handed over the keys? That's important. If pet stains were found after that it would be the landlord's word against yours as to who's to blame.

The pet fee and the pet rent are both additional fees for you having a pet. Pet rent is not common in Raleigh in my experience. It is common in other parts of the country.

Tell the landlord to provide three estimates from professional carpet cleaning contractors. Then tell him you will will pay for the lowest estimate. This is likely what a small claims judge will say if you have to go there.

Good luck
But its way outside 30 days, he has had my forwarding email address for a while. Isn't he breaking the law by not getting it back to men in 30 days in which a full security deposit is suppose to given back to me?

It doesn't take 47 days to get a rugged clean either. I believe someone else has already moved in.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
If no acceptable resolution is forth-coming... your only alternatives are to forget it or file an action in court...

Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
He's pulling your chain. No idea about rights, but this doesn't sound right. Assuming you have money left from the security deposit, the pet deposit should be going toward the animal stain issue. $230+ to clean a pet stain sounds like bs to me.

This is why I take pictures when I move in and when I move out so crappy landlords can't pull a fast one on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting