Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

The lease says 30 days btw...

I rented a room btw in California and the landlord is an attorney.

The lease says that either party can terminate with 30 days notice...

However, I agreed by e-mail to give the owner a month and a half notice...

Since I gave 30 days notice, he said he will have to keep half the deposit.

Do I have to give up half the deposit because I agreed in an EMAIL to give him 45 days notice... All I said was "sure I will give you 45 days". However, I had to move and all I could give was 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
The lease says that either party can terminate with 30 days notice...
However, I agreed by e-mail to give the owner a month and a half notice...
Since I gave 30 days notice, he said he will have to keep half the deposit.
He's being petty.

With any other sort of LL...
you could probably go through the process and prevail in a reasonable amount of time.

With an attorney LL...
and especially one who has already shown himself to be a petty a-hole...
that scenario will never be allowed to happen.

You have to decide how much that 50% of the SD is worth to you.

hth

Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He's being petty.

With any other sort of LL...
you could probably go through the process and prevail in a reasonable amount of time.

With an attorney LL...
and especially one who has already shown himself to be a petty a-hole...
that scenario will never be allowed to happen.

You have to decide how much that 50% of the SD is worth to you.

hth
I would think that the lease holds more water because it is a legal document and says 30 days... The 45 days was only agreed via e-mail...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
I would think that the lease holds more water because it is a legal document and says 30 days... The 45 days was only agreed via e-mail...
And he didn't argue that. You probably win the argument in court. The point is that a LL who happens to be an attorney knows how to work the system so that getting in front of a judge is going to be a long, tedious, dreadful, time consuming, laborious process. So while you will likely win (assuming the situation is as cut & dry as you've presented it) you have to decide if the money you stand to lose is worth all that time & effort.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
And he didn't argue that. You probably win the argument in court. The point is that a LL who happens to be an attorney knows how to work the system so that getting in front of a judge is going to be a long, tedious, dreadful, time consuming, laborious process. So while you will likely win (assuming the situation is as cut & dry as you've presented it) you have to decide if the money you stand to lose is worth all that time & effort.
I didn't bring up the lease agreement; I didn't say anything yet. He doesn't know that I kept the lease and read the part about 30 days. I am waiting for responses from folks before I even respond to him.

Also, there was a time when he had an appraiser check out my room because he was refinancing (his cousin is refinancing it). It's actually the cousin who is the owner but the lawyer manages it since the cousin is out of state. In the lease it said he is supposed to give me 24 hr notice but he never did. I didn't care at the time. I told him it was ok after he already showed the room. However he doesn't play 100 percent by the rules either. Why should I abide by an e-mail agreement when the lease says 30 days?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
I didn't bring up the lease agreement; I didn't say anything yet. He doesn't know that I kept the lease and read the part about 30 days. I am waiting for responses from folks before I even respond to him.

Also, there was a time when he had an appraiser check out my room because he was refinancing (his cousin is refinancing it). It's actually the cousin who is the owner but the lawyer manages it since the cousin is out of state. In the lease it said he is supposed to give me 24 hr notice but he never did. I didn't care at the time. I told him it was ok after he already showed the room. However he doesn't play 100 percent by the rules either. Why should I abide by an e-mail agreement when the lease says 30 days?
Of course he knows you kept the lease. Who DOESN'T keep the lease?

Yes, the lease should trump any casual e-mail that contradicts that lease. (Unless that e-mail recognizes the 30 day requirement & asks you to extend it to 45 days. Depending on the wording of the e-mail, it might be arguable that you agreed to an amendment to the lease.) Yes, you probably have no obligation to actually give him more notice than is agreed to in the lease. Yes, you probably have every right to demand all of your security be returned.

Be aware please, that I am NOT in California, and claim NO knowledge of the California law regarding leases, and no knowledge of your situation beyond the few sentences you've posted here. I'm just giving you an opinion based on my knowledge & experiences in NJ. I'm not giving you legal advice. Do not attempt to use this opinion as anything more than it is intended, and do not base your actions on my opinion. For a legal opinion, seek legal counsel in your area.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Of course he knows you kept the lease. Who DOESN'T keep the lease?

Yes, the lease should trump any casual e-mail that contradicts that lease. (Unless that e-mail recognizes the 30 day requirement & asks you to extend it to 45 days. Depending on the wording of the e-mail, it might be arguable that you agreed to an amendment to the lease.) Yes, you probably have no obligation to actually give him more notice than is agreed to in the lease. Yes, you probably have every right to demand all of your security be returned.

Be aware please, that I am NOT in California, and claim NO knowledge of the California law regarding leases, and no knowledge of your situation beyond the few sentences you've posted here. I'm just giving you an opinion based on my knowledge & experiences in NJ. I'm not giving you legal advice. Do not attempt to use this opinion as anything more than it is intended, and do not base your dictions on my opinion. For a legal opinion, seek legal counsel in your area.
Thanks, does it make a difference though that I made the e-mail agreement before he gave me the lease? So it can't be considered an addendum right? I signed the lease a few days later. As for wording; this is the exact wording

He wrote "Can you give me at least a month and half notice if you move out, so I can find another good room mate. That's all I ask for."

I wrote " I will give you a month and a half notice when I do move."

Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
If you sent that email before you signed the lease he doesn't have a leg to stand on even if he had one before you mentioned this fact (and I disagree that he had even half a leg)! Just because he's an attorney doesn't mean he's a good one and, if he were a good one, the lease would have been changed before you both signed it. Your lease is the binding contract and the email means squat. You could just as easily have called him the day after you sent it and said, "I've changed my mind, the 30 days works best for me".

After you've googled California landlord tenant laws to determine how long he has after you quit to return your security deposit, tell him nicely to shove it and go from there. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
He should have put it in the lease...he was good to negotiate it but needed to place it into the lease to seal the deal. He messed up.

You could easily assume they changed their mind about needing the 45 days since 30 days was specified in the lease.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
...does it make a difference though that I made the e-mail agreement before he gave me the lease?
Sure it does. And had you mentioned this detail at the outset...
the answers you received at the outset would be phrased differently to reflect that.

You should also expand on the context of this statement:
"Since I gave 30 days notice, he said he will have to keep half the deposit."

This seems to imply that he believes he has the right to expect that the 45 day notice applies.
This remains the issue to be resolved.

That might be done by showing the date sequence of the various events.
But if that detail is also ambiguous or if he just won't agree with that interpretation
and return the second 50% of the SD...

...the further/final resolution of this still remains what you are willing to do about it.
"You have to decide how much that (second) 50% of the SD is worth to you."

Start by talking about it with him. See where that goes.
---

As to the good vs not good attorney issues....
The petty LL who happens to be an attorney doesn't have to be a good one.
He just has to be a good enough one to keep you tied up in the the civil process
(that you have to take time out of your life to learn and then do) and not pursuing your objective.

'tis what it is.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 10-19-2011 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting