Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,307 times

Advertisements

That would be a lot of people in a space where not everyone even has a place to sit "open" or not. You have 21 people but 6+4+2+2+2 chairs=16 even if folks were comfortable with that arrangement. Even with an appetizer spread, thats still a lot of people.

I would disinvite the kiddo's which would leave you with 12. Rent or buy a folding table so everyone can eat in the same room.

Does your apartment complex have a "public space" ie a grill/picnic area or pool/cabana area? If so-that is where I would move the party.

I have 1200 SF or so, plus another 120 sf outside. I was comfortable with 8 total. I don't think I would do much more than that. Plus if you are having kiddos (all my guests were adults), kiddos like to run around and so on-which would be very cramped.

If it is some function you really want the kiddos around, do one of those Chuck-E-Cheese pizza/game kind of places. I don't think it would break the bank. Seriously-it won't be cheap to do even an appetizer/beverage spread for 20 people. Doing pizza or burgers out somewhere would be fairly reasonable with that many people-probably cheaper than you could "home cater" even an appetizer spread.

Have you done large group entertaining before? It isn't cheap. For example, day after Christmas I had the 8 folks here for a full appetizer/beverage/salad/soup/main/dessert/drink meal. I didn't do anything exceptionally elaborate and I know my grocery/beverage bill was over $400 ($50 per say). The next day my sister treated the whole group of us to lunch out at a pretty decent mid-range restaurant. She got away at $25 per so was actually cheaper. ;-)

Dutch is another option. Or do a luncheon out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,021,554 times
I still get the impression that Nicole would like to entertain in her new home.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I still get the impression that Nicole would like to entertain in her new home.
Then I think she should invite fewer people.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
I have to agree that it's WAY too many bodies for the space that you have, particularly with all the children involved. I foresee a total madhouse! Either have just the adults over or else cut the group in two and have two simple parties. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Cheers!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,609 times
Ok, ok. yall win. dangit. LOL

I will figure out how to divide it up. I called to see how much it would cost to rent our pool house here on the property. $300!!!

Cowboy, I actually haven't had a large dinner/cocktail party while living in an apartment. When we lived in Texas, and had a house, we had parties and cookouts all the time. So I'm slightly out of my element here.

But we've been to several parties since moving here and would like to have our own, hence the trying to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks everyone, for all the replies.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,307 times
That's a tad pricey to rent out the pool house. Wow. Is it maybe a deposit that they refund all or a portion of? I know where I live it isn't anywhere near that steep and they refund all of it except for a small portion when you "finish the party" and the premises arent destroyed lol!.

Hope you figure out how to make your plans work. I think your best chance of making a NICE get together work in your house is half the size-either as suggested do a couple parties, or do adults only. Myself I would opt for the latter.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,162,988 times
I vote cocktail party as well!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,609 times
Cowboy, no. you don't get your money back!!! How crazy. They're losing so much money on it b/c no one is willing to rent it.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,242,361 times
It isn't as though your friends don't know your situation (smaller place). Why don't you consider pushing all the furniture back and setting up card tables (rent w/chairs) like a restaurant or bar. You can separate them or have them touching each other in a nice design. Cover them all with matching cheap table clothes and cute centerpieces. Other than serving dinner, the guests can move around and mingle using the chairs/tables you've set up. Just a thought. It's cheaper than renting the pool house and would be a unique dinner party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting