Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM

276 posts, read 1,138,666 times

Advertisements

Maybe you can advice me here.

I have this family who is interested in renting my house. They have filled out the rental application with the current and previous addresses and landlord contact information.
Now i am not going through a property management company.

Today, i called up the landlords mentioned on application and got good reviews about them.

here is the thing though: i went to the property appraiser website to cross check the names of the landlord and they are different names.
right now, i don't know if the names they(potential renter) gave me are the property manager's name or just plain friends(like my husband says!)

What do i do? Should i just plainly ask the potential renter about this? should i go to a background check company? need some help! I am first time landlord.

Thank you
amy_sk
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 PM

294 posts, read 1,088,632 times
I would get a company to do a background check and also do a credit check, it will tell you there last addresses on the credit report. It might cost you but if you don't check it may cost you more in the future.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,494,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_sk View Post
Maybe you can advice me here.

I have this family who is interested in renting my house. They have filled out the rental application with the current and previous addresses and landlord contact information.
Now i am not going through a property management company.

Today, i called up the landlords mentioned on application and got good reviews about them.

here is the thing though: i went to the property appraiser website to cross check the names of the landlord and they are different names.
right now, i don't know if the names they(potential renter) gave me are the property manager's name or just plain friends(like my husband says!)

What do i do? Should i just plainly ask the potential renter about this? should i go to a background check company? need some help! I am first time landlord.

Thank you
amy_sk
I would contact the name of the real owner of the property and find out what they have to say. It sounds like their trying to pull a fast one on you.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,550,883 times
I would definitely check that one out, sounds fishy to me!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,313,355 times
It could be a new manager too. But I would get the info from the company. There is not really a point in asking them. If its a lie..they will just bake up another one to cover it.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,694,409 times
You could talk to the property manager that they have used and ask them detailed questions; make up some discrepancies and see if they catch them ...

OR

Why don't you use a tenant screening service? That's what I do and pass the expense on to the potential clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting