Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM

912 posts, read 5,270,294 times

Advertisements

Quick question here folks...

when I call a previous landlord to verify a prospective tenant, how truthful do they have to be?

I always assumed that it would illegal to lie about a tenants history, but assuming is bad business, and I'll have none-of-that.

I generally go by the idea that you'll get the most truthful response out of the landlord previous to their current address. The logic behind this is that they already got-rid of these tenants, so they are not losing anything by being truthful.

I've never had this experience, but I imagine that if somebody has terrible tenants, giving a glowing review of them so they can get a new place doesn't seem too far fetched.. right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,382,618 times
Current landlords are the worst liars and in my experience will do just as you said - give the tenant from hell that they are trying to get rid of a glowing recommendation. It saves them the hassle and money of eviction.

Now the ones prior to that as you said are less likely to be out and out liars - unless the prospective tenant did something like rent from a brother-in-law and put the relative with a different last name down as a previous landlord.

I don't ask for references from previous LLs for that reason and don't even bother contacting anyone that the applicant puts down as a previous LL. I tried it when I started out and it was a complete waste of time.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,710,848 times
A lot depends on whos being contacted. Our PMC limits their informations to:
1. Information about the lease information such as how long, when started, when ended etc.
2. Any verifiable and actionable complaints from other tenants. It had to be something the PMC had to get involved in to resolve. Even then they limit temselves to the facts not any judgement of the person or events.
3. Any issue related to the terms of the lease such as late payments, violations, evictions, etc. Again, its factual without any judgement or personal opinions. But they will explain any mitigating information, such as late payments due to serious health issues.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM

34 posts, read 73,376 times
If a landlord has a tenant he wants to get rid of but can't legally, do you think he will lie on a verification to get them to move? Most likely, just saves time, the hassle, plus less hurt feelings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting