Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

Just curious if I need to have more information added to the lease I am about to sign:

Part of the lease is about complaints from other renters regarding disturbances and that 2 complaints will get you evicted. The lease states that "all complaints on disturbances will be considered true and the second one results in your eviction"

What I am concerned about is that I have a 9month old infant and worried that someone may get upset if he starts crying late at night. I mean, two complaints and we are out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
This is what I do - if I receive 3 of the same complaints, from 3 separate residents, I feel there is validy to the complaints. Sometimes neighbors don't get along and it's just a personality dispute. I stay out of that.

Babies cry. Some people are noise sensitive. I had a family and the kids would be outside on the sidewalk. Next door neighbor (2 doors down) called and complained. I told him to call the police and tell them that neighborhood children are outside playing. I never heard again from him.

I would check with your local laws. A contract is a contract, however, just because you sign the clause doesn't mean it's legal and it may not hold up in court.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
What exactly is she supposed to do about a toddler? I mean come on...

I would say that lease does sound a bit harsh. I would talk to the landlord about it, tell him/her you feel uncomfortable about it and see what they say. If they're rude about it now, it's probably not the right place for you anyway.

Last edited by aragx6; 03-20-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM

And this is what worries me. I mean, I worry that people expect us to just sit as stone statues in my apartment. I am sorry, but toddlers walk and fal, run sometimes even. I don't think an occasional thump is something to be complaining about to management. But it seems I am going to have to worry about people like you. I can see you complaining about the 3rd floor WWF match, but come one.. do you expect people to not walk on their floors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Now, a month ago, a lady moved into the middle apartment above us. We talked to her once and gave us the idea that she lived alone......NOPE! After she moved in, we heard the "running" noise of a small child across our ceiling. We also heard a "thump" once in a while. It was a 18 month old baby that lives in the apartment. The "thump" was the baby running and falling on the carpet (not crying though). We ended up going upstairs twice and talking to the ladies mother who babysits the baby for her. The second visit we made, the grandmother basically told us "To bad. If I have to put up with the two kids above me making racket, so do you below me. This baby is a toddler and I'm not going to stop her from running."

Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 PM

You always have to remember, that just because you sleep at night, doesn't mean others schedule fall into the same time frame as yours. Maybe they have night jobs, or maybe insomnia. Either way, not everyone sleeps at night. Maybe you keep them up during the day

Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
You want to ask about what th STC is in the building and look for a place that has cement walls/floors. You would have zero problem with sound transmission in a setting like that (other than whats going out the window)

Is the rental you are looking at in pittsburgh BTW? I thought it might of been you asking about the crap hole I am living in but I forget the log in name. My lease has a clause like that. A couple people have gotten kicked out for it too. BUT they were having parties and blasting stereos for HOURS (4-6 hrs) and as late as 1 am. Babies cry for what...30 minutes to and hour? And I doubt the have the wall rattle power of a bass sub woofer...
Unless you have a really big baby

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
IF I am understanding the poster....this is a lease you are about to sign???? Forget it look somewhere else!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Really, I'd never live in an area where other renters dictated my fate. I've owned around 40 rentals at a time, and you wouldn't believe the trifling and frivolous complaints. I'd imagine the landlord gets complaints every day. With a toddler, you won't last a week. Sorry, but I'd recommend looking elsewhere, too.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Interesting fact: People will FIND reasons to complain if they want to.

Last summer, I ran fans to keep air circulating - and the people below us complained because they could hear the whirring of the fans and it bothered them. They even left a horribly written (grammar and spelling were atrocious) note card on my car.

All you can do is talk to the office about your small child and see how they react. If they understand that babies/toddlers make a lot of noise at atrocious hours - then everything is good.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
And this is what worries me. I mean, I worry that people expect us to just sit as stone statues in my apartment. I am sorry, but toddlers walk and fal, run sometimes even. I don't think an occasional thump is something to be complaining about to management. But it seems I am going to have to worry about people like you. I can see you complaining about the 3rd floor WWF match, but come one.. do you expect people to not walk on their floors??

LoveBoating; if you are reading this, I am glad that she told you that.

I am not going to stop my 10 month old from crawling around the floor because it is disturbing you. Blaring head banging music and jumping around like an idiot while playing the air guitar can be controlled, but any parent who makes their kid sit down and be quiet all day so their crybaby neighbors don't want the noise is a bad parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting