Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 AM

43 posts, read 142,310 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just moved in with a roommate three months ago and yesterday we received a final notice noise complaint stating that we will be evicted if we receive any more complaints. Turns out my roommate has already received a lot of these and I had no idea. She does get noisy sometimes and has a few noisy friends, but I don't see how I can police the noise level when I have to go to bed early because of my job hours. I have really good credit and not a lot of money to get out of the lease. What should I do?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
What does your lovely roommate have to say about all this? And how come she never mentioned the notices to you? If you're officially on the lease you'd better sit down with her for a serious chat because if the two of you are evicted the bad credit report is on you too and will make life difficult for you in the future. I don't see you have much recourse unless she stops having people over and stops being noisy. In some circumstances a LL might be willing to let one party out of a lease if the other finds a suitable replacement but not much hope of this when the complaints have been rolling in and haven't been addressed. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 AM

34,136 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada;21330754
I just moved in with a roommate three months ago and yesterday we (YOU!) received a final notice noise complaint stating that we ([COLOR=Red
YOU![/color]) will be evicted if we (YOU!) receive any more complaints.
Assuming you are both named on the lease and that has "joint and several" responsibility language in it,
then yeah it's technically "we"... You'll still be out on the street though.

Quote:
I have really good credit and not a lot of money to get out of the lease.
What should I do?
In the future?
Pick better roommates that a) won't create problems for you and b) won't hide notices from the LL.

In the immediate term? Get rid of this room mate.
Even if the problem were entirely fabricated by the management the person you are entrusting so much of your life to has demonstrated that they don't have any honor or responsibility.

hth

ps: The Q of *how* to get rid of this person will depend on how the lease is written
and how your personal agreement is understood. Being tough is OK.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-18-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
Have a serious talk with the LL immediately. Explain that you didn't know about the complaints and ask how you can avoid being evicted; maybe the LL has a smaller place you could move into alone? Or maybe another place if you find a roommate.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM

43 posts, read 142,310 times
Yes I am on the lease as well. This is my first time living with a roommate and I didn't even think about previous noise complaints as I have never received one before! Also the previous complaints all date from before I moved in...so for me this is the first notice!

I am trying to arrange a time to speak with the manager this week.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM

34,136 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
I am trying to arrange a time to speak with the manager this week.
Try to track down their e-mail addy.

But even without that, take a few minutes this evening to put the situation down in a letter.
Drop that off at the office in the morning with YOUR email addy on it.

If this is one of the complexes near the State campus... you can be sure they have had this sort of
thing has happened before and know the several ways it can be resolved amicably.

Kind of like how drop/add works each semester...
a bit of shuffling of tenants and you might end up with a quiet roomy...
and the LL without two noisy tenants.

hth

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM

18,487 posts, read 31,697,702 times
and yet another horrible roommate story.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM

911 posts, read 2,602,963 times
first of all, original poster. im sorry you're having these issues. generally unless enough people complain about noise or they do are persistant about it,nothing's ever done. and also it sucks to have a room mate. had one and i'll never have another.

its just something about another person living in the same space and they think they can get away with anything because you're friends.

it'll kill a friendship for sure, best bet is to have your own place, period.

i wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting