Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,139,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjorrison View Post
Thanks for the response. I have cancelled checks and just wish he would leave me alone to move. This is hard enough as it is. This is just another investment to him, but this was my home and I love it. It is breaking my heart to move. I am scared to come home after work.
Why are you scared? You can apply for a TRO (police dept) to stop him from harrassing you or causing you to be "scared".

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocks44 View Post
i currently have no lease at my apartment. i called my landlord to let him know that my fridge has been leaking my bathroom outlets dont work and my stove only 2 burners work and you can smell gas coming from the stove. he never called me back- i sent a written letter to the maintance women also and she came down and looked and said she would let the landlord know. today i call because my fridge now isnt working at all and all the stuff in it went bad. i pay my rent on time i feel that i am good tenant and keep to myself. he procced to yell at me and tell me what a trouble maker i was and i only cause problems and that he kicks people out all the time... big time ranting and raving. my question is can he evict me for no reason at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid and Nancy View Post
If you have a lease he either has to wait for the lease to expire, or terminate the lease based on grounds that you violated the lease. If you don't have a lease you are on a month to month lease, which means he has to give you 30 day written notice. If there is gas leaking I'd call the gas company immediately.

Why would you want to remain a tenant in this guys buidling? I'd be happy to break the lease.
Simple answer, if no lease then yes he can evict for no reason. HOWEVER, what Sid and Nancy said - why do you want to stay? I'd contact the county/city you're in and find out what the rules are concerning a non-habitable unit - leaking gas? GET OUT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,721 times
Is it possible to evict a tenant without a leasing agreement, and no court proceeding in Washington DC?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Delivered, usually it's a good idea to start a new issue with your own thread, but the simple answer is yes to the first and no to the 2nd. Whether there is a written lease or a verbal, it requires following proper procedure - search for the landlord tenant laws and read them.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 41,327 times
we live in ohio.. we have rented the house for over a year. we have had no lease. the landlord left a notice on our door that she wants us out by sept 20 2010. for not having a lease. what are our rights as renters.( we don't owe any back rent) this came out of the blue. she said she cannot aford to keep the house and the repairs that are needed . we have asked her to repair several things (shower with mold, broken doors ect.) and since we have asked for repairs she now wants us out!! Help

Old 08-21-2010, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 41,327 times
Can my landlord evict me for no lease(in Ohio) because that is the reason for the thirty day notice I asked her for a lease when i first moved in . she said she did not have any!!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,802,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy wimer View Post
we live in ohio.. we have rented the house for over a year. we have had no lease. the landlord left a notice on our door that she wants us out by sept 20 2010. for not having a lease. what are our rights as renters.( we don't owe any back rent) this came out of the blue. she said she cannot aford to keep the house and the repairs that are needed . we have asked her to repair several things (shower with mold, broken doors ect.) and since we have asked for repairs she now wants us out!! Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy wimer View Post
Can my landlord evict me for no lease(in Ohio) because that is the reason for the thirty day notice I asked her for a lease when i first moved in . she said she did not have any!!
You do not have a lease so are considered a month to month tenant. Google "Ohio Landlord Tenant Laws" to find out how much notice of quit a LL in your state must legally give you. It's probably 30 days but some states require 60. Nothing you can do as you do not have a long term lease agreement. The reason for your not having one is irrelevant. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Actually, you MAY have a remedy - even though you are a month-to-month tenant. You asked for repairs and the landlord is now evicting you - as a result of your asking her to fix things. That is retaliation and, in many jurisdictions (I did NOT look up Ohio, that's your responsibility), it is illegal. Taking your landlord to court would give you time.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,612 times
I live in West Virginia. My lease expired on August 17th and my landlord didn't allow me to sign a new lease because we told her earlier in the month that we would be moving. Well the first of the month came around and the apartment my family was going to move into became no longer available for rent. We now found a new apartment for rent and it will be available at the end of this month (9-31-2010). We contacted my landlord (via facebook) to ask about paying the rent, and she told us that she couldn't make us pay rent because we are no longer under lease. Now, she is telling us (via facebook) that we have until the 17th of this month (4 days away) that we have to be out of the apartment or she is changing the locks... Is that even legal? She hasn't served us with any kinds of papers via certified mail or anything. Can she just change the locks on us like that, even though she told us not to worry about rent? Thank you. I am so confused as to what I should do.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 20,565 times
My boyfriend died suddenly last month and I'm trying to move out as quickly as possible. I am not on his lease. Can the landlord lock me out? I live in Flemington, NJ. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM

I think the two of you should begin your own threads. Tacking your questions on to the end of another's is not helping any of you. The OP's question is about Ohio LT laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting