Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 AM

431 posts, read 446,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks Galaxie...I will follow up with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You have the right to the quiet enjoyment of your apartment, your landlord has obligations to provide you with that, but your rights are far more limited in regard to the public, shared communal areas of the complex. There your primary recourse is to police protection.

You need to try and recognize that the "crazy lady" could be you some day. Someone with a mental disability. No you should not have to risk your physical well being while living near her, but you need to recognize her right to life and try to accommodate her disability.
I agree she has a right to live but I simply don't think this is the appropriate situation for her. She has shown to potentially be a harm to herself and others. We have a few people that suffer from mental illness here. One man I share a wall with, and he's awesome. Friendly and lovely and helpful. Everyone in the complex likes him.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
You have the right to contact management and hope for the best.

If you truly want to get further involved, then you can contact social services and advise them that this woman may need assistance (she is likely on their radar anyways).

IF you are asking whether or not you can get this woman removed, the answer is no, unless management chooses to do so. Unless she is mentally ill enough to be committed in a facility against her will, then she has the right to live anywhere she wants. "Potential" for harm from a laymen's perspective is not the same as a doctor certifying a serious risk to harm.

Just my experience but those who love to listen to police scanners tend to be nosy bodies. If you do not wish to live around people who are like this, then I suggest not living in a complex where many people are located/renting. This is par for the course when living in such areas.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
I agree she has a right to live but I simply don't think this is the appropriate situation for her. She has shown to potentially be a harm to herself and others. We have a few people that suffer from mental illness here. One man I share a wall with, and he's awesome. Friendly and lovely and helpful. Everyone in the complex likes him.
You have a police scanner, you've decided the woman is a "paranoid schizophrenic", you don't think that the complex in which you live is an "appropriate situation for her" and that she has "shown to potentially be a harm to herself and others".

Until such time as you get your degree in criminology and law enforcement, until such time as you get your degree in psychiatry, and until such time as you own a rental complex it's probably best that you follow the advice given over and over again on this thread which hinges on your confining yourself to suggesting to your friend who had the problem to properly report the issue to management. Your concern is understandable but you do seem to be going rather overboard. Have you spoken to your friend yet?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You have a police scanner, you've decided the woman is a "paranoid schizophrenic", you don't think that the complex in which you live is an "appropriate situation for her" and that she has "shown to potentially be a harm to herself and others".

Until such time as you get your degree in criminology and law enforcement, until such time as you get your degree in psychiatry, and until such time as you own a rental complex it's probably best that you follow the advice given over and over again on this thread which hinges on your confining yourself to suggesting to your friend who had the problem to properly report the issue to management. Your concern is understandable but you do seem to be going rather overboard. Have you spoken to your friend yet?
I DON'T have a police scanner lol. You can listen to them online easily...which I did to see what was happening since she was not opening her door for them. Besides that, I don't listen to police scanners.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious that she is a harm to at least other people, since she has assaulted one.

I was told by the people that I mentioned in my original post that she is suffering from mental illness and does have a case worker coming to see her each day. I'm not assuming that, just going by what I've been told.

Again, I'm certainly not going to begin bothering this lady or taking things into my own hands. I was simply wondering what course of action i should take when talking to management. All I plan to do is voice my concern, that's it. The apartment manager and I are very friendly, so I feel comfortable at least going to her and telling her my concerns....it's not like I'm going to get out the pitch forks and torches and camp outside this lady's apartment

Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's obvious that she is a harm to at least other people, since she has assaulted one.
There is a difference between potential harm and demonstrated harm. Yes, she hurt someone - police were called, it was dealt with. Until a medical doctor deems her mentally unfit and commits her against her will, she, like millions of other mentally ill people, have the right to live wherever they choose.

It is a very, very high burden to commit a mentally ill person. It is illegal to restrict her ability to live somewhere without this committal or without conditions related to an arrest/conviction. Unless she has been charged with assault AND a judge states she is not allowed to reside in the same building as her victims (which doesn't happen often), then that's a no-go.

I say this as someone who worked in LE for years - your recourse is to get management to boot her out. That's all. The medical and law enforcement community has their hands tied - they are not allowed to legally violate HER right live peacefully, even if she is mentally ill and has hurt people.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
There is a difference between potential harm and demonstrated harm. Yes, she hurt someone - police were called, it was dealt with. Until a medical doctor deems her mentally unfit and commits her against her will, she, like millions of other mentally ill people, have the right to live wherever they choose.

It is a very, very high burden to commit a mentally ill person. It is illegal to restrict her ability to live somewhere without this committal or without conditions related to an arrest/conviction. Unless she has been charged with assault AND a judge states she is not allowed to reside in the same building as her victims (which doesn't happen often), then that's a no-go.

I say this as someone who worked in LE for years - your recourse is to get management to boot her out. That's all. The medical and law enforcement community has their hands tied - they are not allowed to legally violate HER right live peacefully, even if she is mentally ill and has hurt people.
That's really what I was more so asking about. I figured that going through apartment management would be the best course of action, just wasn't entirely sure how to approach it.

Thank you for your advice and for not taking shots at me.

I've dealt with mental illness before, including my father being held several times because he was deemed a potential danger to himself and others.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
OP, management is in a tough position. The crazy lady is protected by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

The only way that management can get her out is by proving that she is dangerous to the other tenants. To do that, they need police reports and lots of letters of complaint from tenants who were assaulted. Management is going to have to bear the cost of several court hearings and a lawyer, in order to get her out.

There is nothing that can be done about her noise. She is disabled, so her behavior is protected by law. She already has a case worker. At that point, no judge is going to agree to order her out. There has to be proof that she is endangering the other tenants.

Management should have screened better before accepting her. But there is a problem in that in some states it is not legal to reject a person for receiving public assistance. The crazy lady is most certainly on public assistance of some sort or another.

It is also illegal to reject an applicant for being disabled. Again, very difficult for management to keep her out

The progressives of this world seem to want to help the disabled without any consideration for normal people who get caught up in this unacceptable behavior or who get stuck living next to welfare supported druggy scum because management is required by law to accept them as tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting