Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,913,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Hi, so tell me what you all think of this.
Prop Mgr called to ask of possible early term of lease (ends 12/31 anyway).
She knows we are planning to move from Maui, HI to Santa Cruz, CA at end of lease.
Possible purchase of our rental is requesting 45 day escrow which would put us
out 30 days earlier than planned. I sent her a very rough
est of airline fares/rental costs/car shipping/household shipping etc with a final
cost 'cash for keys' at $10,000.00, she about fainted. I had to remind her that we
we not moving around the corner but across the ocean and that the monies to move
were not yet in the bank. I don't think that is an unreasonable amount. Do you?
Considering the unit is selling for $261,000.00 would seem worth it rather than loose
the sale.
Koale
I would say...STAY! and don't get a dime!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM

912 posts, read 5,280,486 times
Sounds like the type of person who looks for spills on supermakert aisles so that they can get a nice payday through a frivolous lawsuit.

If I was the seller, I'd rather pay $10k to a lawyer to make your life miserable, than to be extorted that much by a seedy tenant.

Watch, you'll probably try to stay past your lease's expiration in order to thwart the deal for the seller if they won't play ball with you.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,913,446 times
Quote:
Well, actually, our expenses to move are maybe $500 or $700 less than the $10,000.00 we estimated.
We have excellent rapor w/owner and prop mgr, reference would never be a problem. Like I mentioned it's only an estimate for them to consider. We have vehicles/household goods to ship earlier than anticipated also includes airfare for roundtrip/hotel/rental car to secure residence refirst/last to secure residence. Thanks for your thoughts on this. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me if it means selling the place or not at listed price. If I were to weigh the two options I'd transfer the funds needed by my tenant today and get the ball rolling. We've been very accommodating w/owner and LL for three years. We'll see what it's worth to her.
I'll let you know.
Koale
A reasonable amount would be the change of the fees you occur with an additional $ 1000 - $ 1500 for the help. That would be way lower since you don't deserve to be reimbursed for cost you would have anyway, just what you have to occur as additional costs and a small amount as gratitude for helping out.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,274,903 times
OP - you are the only person alive who thinks this is reasonable. I'm guessing this thread won't change your mind. If I was the LL I would do everything in my power to work it out with the buyers so that I didn't have to pay you a dime.

That being said, I don't think what you are doing is illegal or extortion. They asked what it would take to make you move early. You answered.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,431,006 times
Thumbs down Lol...

Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies. After reviewing who was insulting me I wasn't surprised. Same old handful of members. Moderators really should do something about all of you. You are all so helpful and polite...lol. Anyway, we didn't call her, she called us. Asked 'how much would you require to move 30 days early and needed an answer w/in two hours so we quickly added and subtracted and called airlines etc to provide her with what she wanted. If any of you had taken the time to actually read my posts you would have seen that we told her we were waiting for funds to begin our move and that our moving costs were only an estimate. You would have also read that we only padded roughly $500-$700 on top of actual costs. Since then, we have spoken and advised her we would reimburse for car/household shipping and rental deposits. So, thank you anyway, and as usual CD members have been as rude and impolite as usual. You can all stick your heads back into the holes you pulled them from to honor me with your replies. Moderator Please close this post as it was not meant to ignite angry and rude replies.
Koale

Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,921,917 times
I can't see any post in which you were insulted nor any in which anyone was rude. Disagreeing with someone doesn't translate to an insult or rudeness.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM

34,227 posts, read 83,435,542 times
Quote:
...you would have seen that we told her we were waiting for funds to begin our move
and that our moving costs were only an estimate. ... You would have also read that we
only padded roughly $500-$700 on top of actual costs.
Why do you believe that your costs to move back to CA are even a factor in any of this?

The question is about what move out costs you might have that might go BEYOND
what you had planned to spend to move out 30 days later. It appears that there are none.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,976,674 times
Quote:
Hi, so tell me what you all think of this.
You asked others for opinions.. What did you expect? Everyone to pat you on the back and congrat you on way to stick it to the landlord? Your request would consider be "unreasonable" by most viewing from the outside but asking you to move a month early may be seen to you as "unreasonable" so you gave an over the top offer. You and the property manager don't agree....case close

Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM

10,072 posts, read 18,192,034 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies. After reviewing who was insulting me I wasn't surprised. Same old handful of members. Moderators really should do something about all of you. You are all so helpful and polite...lol. Anyway, we didn't call her, she called us. Asked 'how much would you require to move 30 days early and needed an answer w/in two hours so we quickly added and subtracted and called airlines etc to provide her with what she wanted. If any of you had taken the time to actually read my posts you would have seen that we told her we were waiting for funds to begin our move and that our moving costs were only an estimate. You would have also read that we only padded roughly $500-$700 on top of actual costs. Since then, we have spoken and advised her we would reimburse for car/household shipping and rental deposits. So, thank you anyway, and as usual CD members have been as rude and impolite as usual. You can all stick your heads back into the holes you pulled them from to honor me with your replies. Moderator Please close this post as it was not meant to ignite angry and rude replies.
Koale
The only person being rude in this whole thread is you ^^^ . You asked what we thought, we answered, you didn't like our answers.

I am still astonished that you felt that your LL should pay ALL your moving expenses ... and then you add that you "only" padded them by $500-700. Wow. Just wow.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM

701 posts, read 1,698,960 times
And if you look closely, you'll see that more than one person's response took into account your anticipated moving funds. Matter of fact, I actually asked you a follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting