Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 17,712 times

Advertisements

I live in long beach ca i moved in with someone to help him catch up on bills and past rent owner knew i moved in a week after he was ok with it but im not on the lease so i pay my roommate until about 5 months after he got the cable shut off couldnt pay gas or electrity so i was worried about rent asked the owner if i could pay him directly he said i can pay in cash or money order but take it to his bank gave me the info to do this since then my roommate wants me to move because im not handing it directly to him first he shuts the electrity off for a wk and then the next wk shuts off gas he said its been turned off beecause he could not pay it when i moved in the agreement was to pay half the rent and nothing else to sleep on the couch and he has full use of the house.So i give him 100 dollars to turn utilitys back on and he says he paid the ulitltys and the elec is back on but gas is not i called down there and they say its paid but there is no reconnect request so i asked him he did u pay the utilitys we is the gas not on he says im not turning it on tell u move and the next day he keep going to the cercuit braker and tyrning of the lights everytime he walks in then i had them put it in my name so he cant mess with it so then he comes home and says hes selling the refridgerator and to take all my stuff out that instant i lost about 300+ dollars on food which he does not even sell he takes the microwave out and throws the toaster in the street he leaves for work at 5 in the morn and leaves the door wide open on purpose while im sleep dont lock it or nothing slams doors every time he comes in tring to make it to force me out but i pay rent and he gave me a 30 day notice i dont know what he told the owner but now the owner is saying i have to move because on the lease it states on 1 person is allowed to live in this 1 bd hes breaking the lease but the owner tells him he has to ge me out because he should of never had any roommates which the owner verbally agreed so before the 30 day notice is up roomate deciedes hes moving out and said i can keep the apt gave me almost every thing in here and i wanted to pay the full rent and told the owner i wanted to stay he said no because he wants to remodel so i have to be out by the first b cuzz my roommate gave him his 30 day notice to move so then i said but heres all the rent he said no hey dont want it he wants me to move then i told him tony said i can keep it and plus ive been here for over a yr u know that thenhe looks at me and says no i didnt know that and tony was not to have any one in here hes in violation of the lease i looked at him and said what you even gave me yoiur info so i can pay u directly and he said no i didnt i was like wow ok whatever but i dont want to move i got the rent he said he didnt want it and said if im not out by the first he calling the police i have rent reciepts since the day i moved in -april 2012 tell april2013 and a money order for this month he wouldnt take..Idk i think there working together because now my roomate is back brought all his clothes and little things back but he says hes moving on the first i really want to keep the apt can he make me move?..... Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Anyone who actually reads this mess all the way through to the end deserves it.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM

131 posts, read 167,121 times
Oh whew! I thought it was my bifocals going trifocal through pizza cheese fingersmudges!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, try re-posting in paragraphs, if you want a response.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
And use punctuation.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
I did manage to get through your post, Andraya, errors and all.

Sorry to tell you this but the landlord/owner is right. You are what we call a "squatter." You have no rights to stay. Your name isn't on the lease. You cannot claim occupancy just because you slept there. Your roommate violated the terms of the lease (unless the lease states he can sublet, which I doubt it does)

After you read this, you better get busy packing. You can pick up some great boxes at the grocery store. Just ask the produce clerk. They have the best boxes around.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 PM

So your saying i've been squitting here for over a year... Even if i paid half the rent every month For the past year and have reciepts...

Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraya11 View Post
So your saying i've been sqwatting here for over a year... Even if i paid half the rent every month For the past year and have reciepts...
And the utilities are in my name also

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 PM

I didn't say you were squitting. I said squatting. And while you aren't technically a squatter because those are people who don't pay, but stay. You may have been paying half the rent but you aren't listed on the lease.

'Course, you could try and fight it but the landlord could just jack your rent up so high, you wouldn't be able to afford the place, any way. Last time I looked, we still had laws in this state and you (and your roommate) violated one when you didn't report your moving in to the landlord.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraya11 View Post
And the utilities are in my name also
What's that got to do with the residence? Anyone can pay the utility bills without living there. Even me, if I wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting