Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I know this comment was made over 2 years ago, but I disagree. Child support is not the child's money, it is to help provide for the child's needs. That would include a place to live, food, clothing, medical, what have you.

If it was truly the child's money, the courts would be sending 15 year old Susie a check every month.

And at any time the other parent can stop making payments or go to court and have the amount reduced due to pay cut or job loss. So it should be taken under consideration but not counted on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 PM

6,837 posts, read 11,590,146 times
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know child support shouldn't be depended on, and if the LL doesn't want to count it, that his/her right, I just took exception to the "child support belongs to the child" remark.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know child support shouldn't be depended on, and if the LL doesn't want to count it, that his/her right, I just took exception to the "child support belongs to the child" remark.

Yeah you're right child support is to be used for the child. It doesn't belong to the child.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 AM

70 posts, read 68,576 times
[quote=Kim in FL;29176232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooooob View Post
Some of your input is fair enough.

Some of you are making it sound more complicated than I intended.

My last tenant was a single mom making $50k a year, which was almost 2.5x rent. But not even halfway through the lease, she had no money left to pay rent. Bank account empty.

Sh*t happens, oh well, you say?[/quote]

You do realize that someone could show you a statement with 75k in it, go buy a car and bring the balance to zero the next day. So...what's your point about the poor single mom??

50k isn't living, that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.
$50K is scraping the bottom of the barrel?? That's actually quite a decent living. I wonder what you think living on $12K a year is, then. O.o

Old 07-11-2019, 05:16 AM

[quote=VintageGurl;55639658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

$50K is scraping the bottom of the barrel?? That's actually quite a decent living. I wonder what you think living on $12K a year is, then. O.o
It really depends what your location were talking about. As far as 12k a year income......that’s poverty level regardless of location imo.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,074,957 times
[quote=VintageGurl;55639658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Scraping under the barrel.

50k is not a lot of money to live on. If you’re single maybe, but with kids? No way.. you’re barely surviving.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,579,790 times
The value of a 50k salary depends entirely on where you live and your other debts. It cannot be a blanket statement.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,909,321 times
[quote=Kim in FL;55640450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGurl View Post

Scraping under the barrel.

50k is not a lot of money to live on. If you’re single maybe, but with kids? No way.. you’re barely surviving.
Really depends on where you live and what you choose to spend your money on. I'm a single mom, I earn much less than 50K and we are definitely doing much better than "barely surviving".

Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,915,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooooob View Post
I think it's reasonable to expect 3 months saved up. In my case, that would be about $6000.

many prospects in my area balk at the thought of anything over 1 month security deposit.

You'd be surprised how little people have saved, and how they can barely pay for move-in costs of First month + security.

Like I said before, your bank account number is something you give out every time you write a check.
And no one is going to judge you if you don't have more than $10k saved up. After all, that's why most people rent. They don't have enough for down payment to buy a house.
If you're going to ask for this, tell your prospective tenants what you're looking for, so they can choose not to submit the info.

I'm a single working teacher and I surely don't have 3 months rent saved up. Yet I have a credit score of 800+ and never once have I been late on a rent/mortgage payment. I've had circumstances that challenged my cashflow but I've made things work.

I could black out anything I didn't want you to see. A few digits of the account number, the names of my payees. I do think it is absolutely none of your business who I'm paying what because you could make judgements about those things which you know nothing about.

I've been a homeowner for 25 years and I don't agree with your contention that people rent because they can't afford a downpayment. There are lots of reasons to rent that have nothing to do with cashflow.

I'm satisfied with credit score...that lets me know that they are responsible with the resources they have.

However, you are the landlord for your property so you can ask for what you want and they have the choice
to comply or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting