Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 23,336 times

Advertisements

I have been renting one side of a duplex for almost 3 years. The neighbor on the other side is a nice guy and kind of "helps" the landlord out here -- small maintenance things, the yard, etc, in exchange for a little lower rent. He's been here a long time.

My landlord called me Wednesday about having my shower redone totally -- it really needs it. We agreed to have it started on Thursday, and I would leave the extra key with the guy who does it (she has couple guys that handle all of our repairs), as I was going out of town. I am the only one with keys to my apartment, my landlord has told me. Great timing since I would be without a shower for a bit -- he would be here Thurs, Fri, Sun and Mon.

I come home today and he's working on the shower, and I notice immediately my lock is different. I study it for a few minutes and mess with it and realize that my key no longer works. The guy doing the shower doesn't speak English very well, so I could barely understand what he told me when he came in, except that he put a new lock on. I call the neighbor next door, and am told that the landlord called Friday and said that the repair man lost the extra key. My neighbor tells me that the landlord gave him permission to break into my house, and Im guessing the repairman broke my lock or something like that trying to get in (I only say this because he busted the lock on the basement Thursday to get in instead of telling us he needs the key to it).

My question here is: Am I wrong to think I should have been at least NOTIFIED that my locks were changed?!?!? I mean, had I come home early, I wouldn't have been able to even get in my apartment. The repair man gave me the key this afternoon when he left. I'm just frustrated that apparently my locks can be changed without any warning, phone call, nothing. I know we have a lot of landlords on here, was just kind of seeing if this is normal for a landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
you have the key so no damage done. They probably planned to give you the key when you arrived. Or they would have placed a note on the door for you to contact the neighbor. Someone would have been watching for you to come home so they could give the key.

Dont bother with getting upset over it. It's over and solved.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
I would have sent you a msg one way or the other to let you know what happened and figured out how/when to get a key to you.

It could have been handled differently, but it worked out.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM

155 posts, read 564,541 times
The new lock can be re keyed to your origional key, so you can be given a new key...as you said you were out of town..

LL do not lock out a tenant...take the key from the worker, and give him your old key...

Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the insight. My landlord came by today to look at the work, and it turns out the guy never told anyone about the lock change - which would be why I was never told anything.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Hmmm. I would be a bit worried about this situation then. You have a workman that changed your lock, without the LL's say so. I wouldn't be comfortable unless the LL reinstalled another new lock, that the workman doesn't have a key for. Just sayin...

Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hmmm. I would be a bit worried about this situation then. You have a workman that changed your lock, without the LL's say so. I wouldn't be comfortable unless the LL reinstalled another new lock, that the workman doesn't have a key for. Just sayin...
Definitely - my landlords husband is coming over shortly to put in a new lock, and find out what is going on.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantsprinkles View Post
Definitely - my landlords husband is coming over shortly to put in a new lock, and find out what is going on.
Glad to hear that. I am betting they are also going to find new workmen. Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting