Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,876 times

Advertisements

We will be renting a house and a thread here got me to thinking, should we get the locks changed?

We have met the previous tenants, and they seem like wonderful people, but you never know. Should we ask the new landlord if we can rekey the locks at our own expense? Or, do landlords typically take care of this before a new tenant moves in?

We are long time home owners, so we're not exactly sure how this works.

Any input and info on this will be greatly appreciated!

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Many landlords automatically change/rekey locks between tenants. Just ask your LL if he plans to do so - it's a perfectly normal question. He should really take care of the cost but it's not a big deal - if you do it yourself, just make sure he gets a key. (Well, that's the legality, but when I leased a property for my restaurant there had been a succession of tenants in there over the years. With the LL's permission I had the locks changed but he never did ask me for a key in the 15 years I was there!)

Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Super! Thank you!

HUGz! Jules

Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,044 times
It is good business practice for that LL to rekey, however it is an expense they may avoid. If they claim it was done, ask for the contact info of the locksmith to verify, if not, asking to rekey is a very valid request. It is your residence, your possessions, your security........protect it !

Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
It is good business practice for that LL to rekey, however it is an expense they may avoid. If they claim it was done, ask for the contact info of the locksmith to verify, if not, asking to rekey is a very valid request. It is your residence, your possessions, your security........protect it !
Gotcha!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I always change locks between tenants. I think that probably most landlords do. The easiest thing to do is simply ask the landlord whether the locks have been changed or not.

If you do change the locks, you must give a key to the landlord and return the old locks and keys to him.

The door knobs and locks that I use are quite expensive and any tenants who change them and don't return them to me are in for a nasty shock when they get the accounting for their deposit and see how much it cost them to have all the locks replaced with what I always use and what they took off the house. Don't get charged to replace the locks. Return them to the landlord.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I always change locks between tenants. I think that probably most landlords do.
I think you're living in a bit of a fantasy there. I've rented several houses/twins, and never once has the landlord changed locks before I moved in. But yes, a tenant definitely should give a key to the landlord if they change the lock.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
I always change locks between tenants

Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
I always change them, i think like a tenant on that one. I also change all the padlocks on gates and garage. I have never had a tenant return all keys to me, ad who is to say they dont have a copy?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Thanks everybody! At least I now know to ask for sure! In my mind I thought it would be our responsiblity, but the landlord rekeying makes more sense.

HUGz! Jules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting