Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,433 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a mobile home. I am on the lease and have been for the past 5 years. I paid for the home but the title was placed into my roomate/friends name due to issues with my background. The park would not allow me to own a home, but i could be a resident. (silly i know). I moved out for a period of time but due to some personal things I was forced to move back in, which was fine with my friend, he was the one who offered.

The agreement was that since i paid cash for the home he would pay me back his half. which he would do by paying all the bills. by the time i moved out he still had not fully paid me back his half, but i told him not to worry, that he could just stay. i knew he could not afford to pay me extra on top of the bills for what he still owed me.

since i have moved back in, he has acquired a girlfriend and she wants to move in and he has asked me when i can find my own place. i would love to, but due to finances cannot afford to. i told him i dont know but will look. there is no written agreemant between us. i am currently giving my roomate money every month since its "his house". i would prefer not to bring up the fact that i bought and paid for his house as he says, but i know that since its in his name legaly he has the upper hand.

my question is, if i cant leave. literally cannot find somewhere else due to my situation. what can he do to force me out. again i am on the lease with the park, just not on the title to the home. how does that work. i tried to get answers but can not seem to find any that fit my situation. any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I don't think that being on the lease as far as the spot of land which the mobile home sits on is going to give you any legal right at all where the actual structure is concerned. If you're paying rent monthly then you would be considered a month to month tenant and he can give you 30 days notice to move - or whatever your state landlord tenant laws mandate. You can probably find those laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum. Why are you giving him money every month when you say that he still owes you money?

In any case, there's really nothing you can do. You entered into some sort of slapdash agreement, nothing was written down, the home is legally his and he can give you the required notice to leave. Sorry.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM

30 days and then what. i have no problem dragging this out in light of the situation. how long before the sheriff literaly throws me on the street?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebejr View Post
I currently live in a mobile home. <--worth how much?
I paid for the home but the title was placed into my roommate/friends name...
there is no written agreement between us. <-- if any value... pursue a lien

what can he do to force me out. <-- 30 Days notice

i tried to get answers but can not seem to find any that fit my situation.

Ray Charles - Hit the Road Jack (2010 Digitally Remastered Studio version) - YouTube

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM

the home has value, how would i pursue a lien if its in his name? base it on the fact that he owes me monies that are unpaid?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM

If he gives you whatever notice is required in your state on a month to month rental and you fail to move, then he can start eviction proceedings. In some jurisdictions it's a very quick process and in others longer but, in any event, once the eviction is granted you'll have to move. Further, that eviction will be on your record and you may find it a real problem to rent property for a very long time in the future, while it can also affect you detrimentally in other areas of life.

You'd be well advised to work with your roommate on this. You didn't answer the question of why you're paying him monthly if he still owes you money but maybe you can work something out where he gives you X amount of dollars to help you find somewhere else to live so that everyone can live happily ever after. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebejr View Post
the home has value, how would i pursue a lien if its in his name? base it on the fact that he owes me monies that are unpaid?
Everything you have done sounds, well, shady to say the least (or sketchy as my students would say). Why would you think you could pursue a lien? You haven't said that you have ANY paperwork in writing -- looks like everything was handled very casually?

Have you TALKED to the legal owner about what you have written here?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Why would you think you could pursue a lien?
He didn't. Another poster suggested it (Post #4).

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Also, read very carefully your state law because many times there are different sections or requirments when a mobile home is involved due to the various land/unit/owned/lease/ etc issues involved.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He didn't. Another poster suggested it (Post #4).
But then he asked how he could do it.

Something seems very "off" at least from what he has posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting