Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM

42 posts, read 147,907 times

Advertisements

We have lived in the same apartment for about two and a half years .. no real crazy problems , last week we were sitting in our living room watching tv when our door was opened with a key in which an older man kind of stuck his head in and said " oh , um im here to clean the carpets ? " and we were like um no, go check with the office .
You could then hear him yelling to his partner that our apartment was occupied and "roll it back up " , my boyfriend then watched him from the balcony in which he did not return his key and left . we were going to complain , but we do know that they have a deal with a company so we let it slide ... until today when we were cleaning and noticed a couple video games ( only the discs , cases empty ) were missing , now this may seem trivial, but my boyfriend is OCD with putting games back where they belong especially and does not leave things laying around ... and its only the PS3 games that are missing , and its all of them .
I also know a bug company has our key as well .. just wondering how to handle the situation ..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,445 times
I would suggest starting with the office!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
If it's a complex the "carpet cleaners" probably have a master key. Have them change the locks if there aren't any master keys.

I would call the cops and report it as a burglary. It's likely that your not their only victims.

I would strongly consider moving at the end of your lease (or even before if your really concerned).

Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Read your state landlord tenant laws which are probably linked in the first "sticky" on this forum page. It's standard in almost every state that a landlord must give 24 hours notice of any entry into leased premises and the tenant can reasonably deny permission and negotiate if the time and date are inconvenient. This incident is totally unacceptable and illegal and you need to jump on it without any further delay in writing via return receipt certified mail to the landlord.

I agree that letting the police know (and filing a report/getting a copy of it) is crucial. Obviously you won't get your property back as you can't prove that someone "broke in" to your apartment but the documentation will be a record for you if the situation escalates.

Don't wait - do it now! Good luck!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crauen88 View Post
...last week we were sitting in our living room watching tv when our door was opened with a key
in which an older man kind of stuck his head in and said " oh , um im here to clean the carpets ? "
and we were like um no, go check with the office .
They don't have a key to YOUR apartment. They have a MASTER key to every apartment.
The pest control and other common contractors will have them as well.

Quote:
today when we were cleaning and noticed a couple video games ( only the discs , cases empty ) were missing , now this may seem trivial... just wondering how to handle the situation.
Do you have ANY substantive reason to suspect that these two events are IN ANY WAY related?
The manager is going to tell you to file a police report.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,712 times
Holy Crap! How can you sleep at night??

I would at least add some sort of device that you can lock the door while you are home.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They don't have a key to YOUR apartment. They have a MASTER key to every apartment.
The pest control and other common contractors will have them as well.

Do you have ANY substantive reason to suspect that these two events are IN ANY WAY related?
The manager is going to tell you to file a police report.
As far as who has keys (master or otherwise, pest control and "other common contractors" regardless) is concerned, this doesn't in any way negate the fact that a landlord has to give notice of entry to any leased apartment for any reason in accordance with state laws. You've been contributing to this forum long enough to know that and to know that master key/individual key makes not a whit of difference.

No, of course the OP doesn't have "substantive reason" (i.e. PROOF) where the missing belongings are concerned but a police report noting no physical break-in certainly does at least circumstantially confirm that the alleged loss came about because of a keyed entry - and I already addressed that very issue. Better late than never to document it.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
...landlord has to give notice of entry...
So? That isn't the issue here...

Someone read the wrong number on a work order and opened the wrong door.
("yelling to his partner that our apartment was occupied and "roll it back up")

A simple error. No more. No less.
The rest is inference, supposition and paranoia.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So? That isn't the issue here...

Someone read the wrong number on a work order and opened the wrong door.
("yelling to his partner that our apartment was occupied and "roll it back up")

A simple error. No more. No less.
The rest is inference, supposition and paranoia.
It still warrants backing up by letter whether it's a "simple error" or not. If one is to go by the OP's account of the door being opened there was no knock beforehand and, while you may disagree, it would be a normal presumption for anyone to assume that even someone with a master key would take such a precaution before blundering in. I'll ignore the final sentence and its assumptive editorializing and allow that you just may have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'll ignore the final sentence and its assumptive editorializing and allow that you just may have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!
Don't. That is the most important and instructive portion of the comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting