Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

333 posts, read 811,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Just like smoke free buildings. People WANT them.
I would so be there - hell I'd pay a premium for dedicated "quiet" buildings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There is no need to plot your escape, break your lease and move.

I have to laugh at the sense of entitlement here, I can't believe you really expect your apartment manager to "group" people by lifestyles. Wow. Maybe you can suggest a computer service, kinda like E Harmony, but for renters. LOLOLOLOLOL
You so don't get it. If I break my lease it will cost me an extra $2000. Moving is not inexpensive or trivial for everyone.

Also, there's a difference between feeling something and expecting something. Yeah when I wrote my original post I was angry and hurt because I honestly believed I had the positive regard and friendlly relationship with the apartment manager and that I thought she wouldn't do this or at least would have warned me. Entitlement is believing I absolutely have the RIGHT not to have certain tenants living above me - and I know that I do not have that legal right. I can see both sides of the situation, can you? I know you said it as a joke, but E harmony for renters is actually a great idea - a computer program that would organize renters by their preferences. It would be easy to create, but the only problem I see is that there could be privacy issues with it.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
This has got to be one of the most dopiest ideas I;ve seen floated on this forum!

maybe we should have a renting forum based on intelligent conversation and another for the wackos!!!!! Gues where this conversation should be?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
You so don't get it. If I break my lease it will cost me an extra $2000. Moving is not inexpensive or trivial for everyone.

Also, there's a difference between feeling something and expecting something. Yeah when I wrote my original post I was angry and hurt because I honestly believed I had the positive regard and friendlly relationship with the apartment manager and that I thought she wouldn't do this or at least would have warned me. Entitlement is believing I absolutely have the RIGHT not to have certain tenants living above me - and I know that I do not have that legal right. I can see both sides of the situation, can you? I know you said it as a joke, but E harmony for renters is actually a great idea - a computer program that would organize renters by their preferences. It would be easy to create, but the only problem I see is that there could be privacy issues with it.
But, you see I do get it. You want to be control of what goes on in your complex and guess what? You're not. You want everyone to tiptoe around you so you can enjoy your apartment. Dont' get me wrong, you have a right to enjoy your apartment, but you have no say as to gets the units around you.

There are no two sides here....the fact is that while you can moan and groan about your neighbors, you have no say in their selection.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
This has the makings for a pretty good reality TV show. Every time someone in the quiet building dropped something by accident or their alarm clock went off they would have to go in front of the "jury" to see if they got to stay.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
No one expects their current LL to do this. Why should they?
All I was saying is if they can have complexes for over 55 year olds, then why not quiet ones where you sign on your lease you will obey the laws or get kicked out?

Then they'd HAVE to enforce them.

No one is making the party posse or people with 5 kids sign a lease like that. But if they had specific quiet buildings with this option, I bet you'd get a lot of interest.

Just like smoke free buildings. People WANT them.
You still haven't answered the question....how do you propose your landlord decides who's quiet and who's not?

I have yet to have seen a lease, used by a competent landlord that is, not cover the issue of noise and disturbances. My lease is very clear on the expectations and the consquences of not following the rules.

I got my neighbor kicked out for having all night parties and keeping the building awake. I also got another neighbor kicked out for setting off illegal fireworks 24 hrs after a mass email and posting when out saying "NO FIREWORKS". The douche was setting them off aimed towards our building ( he was in a building behind divided by a huge water feature) where they were landing on our roofs and on our cars in front of our building.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
But, you see I do get it. You want to be control of what goes on in your complex and guess what? You're not. You want everyone to tiptoe around you so you can enjoy your apartment. Dont' get me wrong, you have a right to enjoy your apartment, but you have no say as to gets the units around you.

There are no two sides here....the fact is that while you can moan and groan about your neighbors, you have no say in their selection.
No you don't get it and I'm not wasting any more energy on this. I'm done with this thread....can't believe I posted hoping for some commiseration. Thank you to the few who understood.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
No you don't get it and I'm not wasting any more energy on this. I'm done with this thread....can't believe I posted hoping for some commiseration. Thank you to the few who understood.
There are several questions you continue to not answer. I wonder why.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:50 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,464,654 times
if they are making excessive noise during the hours your state has as "quite hours"call the cops and notify your LL every time you have too. your complaints mean nothing legally until you have a legal document backing your side of the situation up.
NEVER rent from people who do not have any form of noise ordinance written into the lease agreement.

legally a renter is not allowed to discriminate.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:

well, we do express empathy when the situation calls for it...this did not. Carry on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting