Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,426,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Thanks Chef.sunny, and you make a good point about LL's treating good tenants well leading to management over time retaining their best tenants. That's got to be worth something. I'm already making plans on how to move and it won't be within the same apartment complex. And yes there are enough buildings - my complex is huge with 20 buildings.

Konkat, I hear you about the steering....I know that grouping people so everyone is happier could quickly become grouping people in a way that becomes a way for an LL to act out prejudice. The dark side isn't too far over the line so I can respect why they don't do it even though it's unfortunate for me personally. I am plotting my escape.
I think that is the best plan. My dad is a LL and I am sort of a partner in it so I can be prepared to take them over one day, although as we now use a management company there isn't much that needs doing...but I digress. I was starting to say that I have seen tenants and applicants play the discrimination card like it was a get out of jail free card. And often the tenants who do this have great legal representation as they are getting legal assistance. The view of many legal assistance attorneys is that the LL is bad and the tenant good, despite the facts. Because of this, most LLs go out of their way to make it appear that at no time was gender, age, race, etc considered in the rental process. Keeping one building older and one younger...well, all it would take is an older person not to get an apartment, decide it was because it was all younger tenants, and sue. Would it be thrown out? Probably. But not without some lawyer fees incurred.

So, while I understand how you feel, the laws are so tenant friendly in many places that LLs have to take a really hard stance in order to be able to get through the process without being sued by every unhappy tenant or applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,153,916 times
There is no need to plot your escape, break your lease and move.

I have to laugh at the sense of entitlement here, I can't believe you really expect your apartment manager to "group" people by lifestyles. Wow. Maybe you can suggest a computer service, kinda like E Harmony, but for renters. LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 AM

841 posts, read 1,922,506 times
Default Another sleepless night here

Let's see. I tried going to bed but the neighbor's kid kept crying and whining and squealing till 12 or 12:30 am.

Then someone began skateboarding at ?? time and it woke me up at 3.

By 4 am someone was revving a motorcycle. Then the rude people who think THEY are entitled to stand outside and talk on their phones or talk very loud begins.

Oh, wait, putting people who are quiet and like quiet in another building is stupid. Right.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,153,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Let's see. I tried going to bed but the neighbor's kid kept crying and whining and squealing till 12 or 12:30 am.

Then someone began skateboarding at ?? time and it woke me up at 3.

By 4 am someone was revving a motorcycle. Then the rude people who think THEY are entitled to stand outside and talk on their phones or talk very loud begins.

Oh, wait, putting people who are quiet and like quiet in another building is stupid. Right.

Well, when you call your manager today make sure you tell them about the skateboarder and the people outside, they will do something about them. The kid and motorcycle, not so much. Kids cry and ppl do have a right to get to work in the morning.

As for grouping 'quiet' ppl together, how do you propose that be handled? How do you weed the noisy ppl out? How do you determine who's noisy and who's not just by an application?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,282,835 times
Quote:
You have yet to tell us how a LL would figure out who is quiet and who isn't. You simply are being completely unreasonable in your expectations.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM

841 posts, read 1,922,506 times
No one expects their current LL to do this. Why should they?
All I was saying is if they can have complexes for over 55 year olds, then why not quiet ones where you sign on your lease you will obey the laws or get kicked out?

Then they'd HAVE to enforce them.

No one is making the party posse or people with 5 kids sign a lease like that. But if they had specific quiet buildings with this option, I bet you'd get a lot of interest.

Just like smoke free buildings. People WANT them.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM

912 posts, read 5,281,491 times
Quote:
All I was saying is if they can have complexes for over 55 year olds, then why not quiet ones where you sign on your lease you will obey the laws or get kicked out?

No one is making the party posse or people with 5 kids sign a lease like that. But if they had specific quiet buildings with this option, I bet you'd get a lot of interest.

This works on trains. However, it probably wouldn't work with housing. Between discrimination and people's different ideas of what "quiet" means, it would be a nightmare to manage.

Tell you what.. "they do this" or "they do that" or "they should offer this or that", how about YOU buy a building, and YOU make that kinda deal and YOU manage it the way you want.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,058,309 times
I think a HUGE point that everyone's missing is that (even if you could expect the landlord to "group" people) you really can't expect the landlord to be able to tell who's going to be quiet and who's not.

1) EVERYBODY will tell you they're quiet when they're trying to rent a place from you. I've often thought it would be so much easier if people would actually be honest and say "we like to stay up late and have friends over and drink 5 nights a week" instead of "oh, yeah, we're quiet, we never have parties, we go to bed at like 10 every night..."

2) Age, gender, hobbies aren't great indicators of whether people are quiet or not. I've always been a quiet neighbor, even when I was in my 20s and in college. Even though I had wildly dyed hair and tattoos and wore punk rock band T-shirts. The noisiest person I ever had the displeasure to live near was a 40-year old chef in a fancy, fancy restaurant who would come home from work at 3am with whatever group of people he'd picked up at the restaurant bar that night and proceed to party until after I left for work/school the next morning..

Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

There are almost certainly rules around noise already. And I would love to know exactly how you would write the "rules" for the quiet building. How exactly do you define quiet in this example?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I think a HUGE point that everyone's missing is that (even if you could expect the landlord to "group" people) you really can't expect the landlord to be able to tell who's going to be quiet and who's not.
This has been mentioned several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting