Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,821,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfolk View Post
Our tenant at will just gave a two week notice because she said her daughter is seeing a ghost. My husband half-jokingly said he hears things in the house sometimes. We did not ask for last months or a security because her father is a friend of the family. She took my husband's statement to mean that we knew the house was haunted before they moved in. I think this haunted business is nonsense, and I remember clearly being the same age as the little girl and truly believing there were monsters under my bed and in my closet. I am bewildered and upset that my home is a place where this family is uncomfortable. Am I being duped..?? Have you ever heard of such a thing.
Why are you being duped? They can move out for whatever reason they want. Hopefully they will leave the place in decent enough condition that the non-existent security deposit is not needed. If you want more protection or want to demand more than 2 weeks notice then you should make sure to specify that in writing in the future. Unless 30 days is the minimum required where you are -- in which case you should at least try mentioning that to the family. I wouldn't assume the worst yet. (perhaps they think two weeks is okay -- I've had as little as 15 days notice in former leases as a renter -- or maybe they'll still vacate in 14 days but still pay you for the whole month.)

For what it's worth, we once lived in a house that made me very uncomfortable, and some of our guests swore it was haunted. I was happy to leave. Others lived there for years and apparently either had no problems or else didn't find it creepy. I would have been too embarrassed to mention it to the landlord, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting