Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,644,971 times

Advertisements

Make sure you go to court and obtain a judgement. This way it shows up on their credit report. Thanks to this thing called the internet it's real easy to run a records search regarding the judgement. I'd say 50% of LL will not rent to a tenet owing another LL money and showing an eviction/judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,610,856 times
Consider yourself lucky and follow the law with the security deposit. They could have stayed there for months without paying rent.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,956,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Make sure you go to court and obtain a judgement. This way it shows up on their credit report. Thanks to this thing called the internet it's real easy to run a records search regarding the judgement. I'd say 50% of LL will not rent to a tenet owing another LL money and showing an eviction/judgement.
Yes... I don't know any landlords that will rent to someone that has been evicted... not a single one.

The only work around is if another party with stellar credit is also on the lease.

It takes effort and stupidity to wait to be put out on the street by the Sheriff... not something I want any part of.

Judgements and Bankruptcies have a little more leeway... one of my best renters came to my showing with his family and really liked the home... I gave him an application and he said he didn't want to waste my time because last year he had a Bankruptcy...

We talked and his story was in the local paper... his business partner left the country was cash and this guy was left holding the bag...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,080,241 times
Why in the world would you not have a signed lease???? It doesn't matter if it is a year or month to month. Almost all the laws out there to help you are out the window because you have no written proof. It is your word against theirs as to what agreements there were. File the papers gainst them, get the apartment cleaned up and rented and pray that you get paid in the next 50 years.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Default 14 day notice because the house is "haunted"!!??

Our tenant at will just gave a two week notice because she said her daughter is seeing a ghost. My husband half-jokingly said he hears things in the house sometimes. We did not ask for last months or a security because her father is a friend of the family. She took my husband's statement to mean that we knew the house was haunted before they moved in. I think this haunted business is nonsense, and I remember clearly being the same age as the little girl and truly believing there were monsters under my bed and in my closet. I am bewildered and upset that my home is a place where this family is uncomfortable. Am I being duped..?? Have you ever heard of such a thing.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

34,268 posts, read 83,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfolk View Post
Our tenant at will just gave a two week notice because she said her daughter is seeing a ghost.
Am I being duped..?? Have you ever heard of such a thing.
Does it matter?
If you're not going to address the matter as a landlord and attempt to recover your damages
then it's just an anecdote for your next dinner out with friends.

Regain and secure your possession of the unit.
Assess and DOCUMENT any damages.
Clean and fix as needed, advertise, re-rent.
Move on.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,307,173 times
I bet that is the last time you don't collect last month and security deposit.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
absolutely

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,195,699 times
Whether you rent to a friend, a daughter of a friend, a cousin, or a stranger, your obligations as a landlord don't change. You write a lease, collect security, first, and last. Keep it business. BTW, if you're renting out your home, it is no longer "your home" - it is now investment property.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,452,044 times
Go over there in person and have them sign a statement that they want you to use the deposit as last month's rent or to cover cleaning and damages. Take two copies -both of you sign both sets and give them one set. At least you'll have the deposit.

However, ask them for their new address because you have to send them a deposit refund statement. if you get that then send a statement to them certified mail in the time frame for your jurisdiction.If not, send it to their last know address (yes, I know it's the house they're moving out of) and when it is returned, keep it, unopened, with your file of that tenant's paperwork.

Document document document everything. Take photos of the property when they're gone. Frankly, I'd take photos of them packing up all those trucks too if it were me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting