Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in las cruces nm had a ? My landlord dose not want to fix the stuff that is wrong wit it . I have a big hole in my roof and it leak s my stove got tag by the gas company. But the has been going on since i moved in june Now they want to give me a 30 day notice . Cuz he dose not want to fix it. I do not know what to do I have 5 lil kids and am on ssi . What can I do about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarela View Post
Hi I live in las cruces nm had a ? My landlord dose not want to fix the stuff that is wrong wit it . I have a big hole in my roof and it leak s my stove got tag by the gas company. But the has been going on since i moved in june Now they want to give me a 30 day notice . Cuz he dose not want to fix it. I do not know what to do I have 5 lil kids and am on ssi . What can I do about this.
Maintenance and habitability issues should also be addressed in writing to the landlord. Read your state landlord tenant laws on the subject which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum. A leaking hole in the roof is a habitability issue and if the LL refuses to fix it then you can contact local authorities to come and investigate. If they find a habitability issue they'll issue a citation to the landlord. But you'll likely have to move in any event.

Your landlord is legally forbidden to evict you in retaliation for your demand that habitability issues be fixed. However, if you're not on a term lease but are a month to month tenant he can give you 30 days notice to move and in order to stay you would need to prove that he was constructively evicting you.

If you're also on Section 8, speak to your caseworker. If you're not on Section 8, you may be eligible for it so check with your local HUD/Human Services office. You can also see if Legal Aid can advise you. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
I live upstairs and last week when the rains came it caused the steps to be slippery and resulted in my slipping and falling down 5stairs..I notified the agentof the incident and he was suppose to send the workers when the rain let up to put some slip strips down but days later when the next rain hit I again slipped down the stairs...this time however falling to the bottom...do I have a case against the property management and their agent

Old 12-15-2014, 05:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanchez54 View Post
I live upstairs and last week when the rains came it caused the steps to be slippery and resulted in my slipping and falling down 5stairs..I notified the agentof the incident and he was suppose to send the workers when the rain let up to put some slip strips down but days later when the next rain hit I again slipped down the stairs...this time however falling to the bottom...do I have a case against the property management and their agent
Probably not but best advice is to contact an attorney who'll give a legal opinion. If you haven't sustained injuries which require medical attention you don't have much of a case and should also be forewarned that these cases which involve insurance liability often take YEARS to resolve. Good luck - and hang onto the handrail carefully until the non-skid strips are put in place!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
You'd have to convince the court that the landlord was negligent. If those stairs have been like that a long time, and nobody else ever fell, that might be hard to do.

The second time, I really don't think you'd have a case, because you were aware of how slippery the steps were.

You can call around and see if an attorney would talk to you. But, as mentioned, since you don't have major injuries, and negligence isn't obvious, you'd be hard pressed to get an attorney to take your case.

IMO.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarela View Post
If it unfit to live I which it sounds like ;you need to turn the matter over to local inspection or health dept who like will refer it to them. But likely they will what is called red tag it and no one can live in it until the necessary repairs are done and inspected.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 578 times
Can my landlord have mail delivered to my house without my permission

Old 02-06-2015, 08:02 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coraldanny3 View Post
The house belongs to him...

I guess you can ask the letter carrier to forward it.

My tenants still get mail addressed to me... nothing on my part... it's just I once lived there.

My folks bought their home in 1969 and last year they got a postcard from a local Dentist addressed to the former owners that said it has been 44 years since your last check up!!!!

Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coraldanny3 View Post
Anybody could address mail to that address. Wouldn't it just be a crying shame if it all somehow went out with your trash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting