Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM

91 posts, read 674,039 times

Advertisements

My relatives, who live in an apartment recently received a notice saying that tenants are not allowed to feed wild animals (we assume they mean birds and squirrels). Can management (or whoever) actually do that? Can they prohibit people from putting out bird feeders and feeding the birds? I suppose I could understand how feeding squirrels might be a problem (they are rather pesky), but what's wrong with feeding the birds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Perhaps because squirrels don't consider them bird feeders, they consider them squirrel feeders, and thus they attract squirrels?

The definition of "wild animals" might be something your relatives might want to get from the management? They might not mean bird feeders, but things like feeding raccoons and deer (which would be the problem down here).

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
Bird feeders can attract all sorts of wild animals - squirrels, obviously, but also raccoons and even bears.

This problem can remain long after a tenant has left, with the wild animals coming back to where they once remembered food.

If the bird feeder is located near the parking lot, that could also mean more unsightly bird droppings on vehicles and where people are walking.

Definitely get a clarification from management. If the concern is squirrels and raccoons, your relatives could see if a "squirrel proof" bird feeder might be acceptable. Ensuring that any dropped food is picked up on a daily basis might also go a good way to being allowed to have one.

If this is not in the lease, it is very possible that your relatives could just ignore the letter and put up a feeder anyways, but I would really encourage you to encourage them to work with the landlords - there is a reason for the restriction, the landlords didn't just wake up and think "gee, how can I mess with my tenants today."

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
I was a resident manager of a small apartment complex. There was a gentleman that would put peanuts on his windowsill for the squirrels even though we also had a "do not feed squirrels" policy.

One day, as I was sitting in the courtyard, I saw a squirrel on his window sill. The man was not home and the squirrel must have been looking for its daily treat. The kitchen window was open but there was a screen. The hungry squirrel starting chewing through the screen. Before I could react, the squirrel was in the apartment. I called the maintenance guy to knock on the guys door and if he wasn't home to enter and get the pesky rodent. Just as the maintenance guy gets up there, I see the squirrel exiting from the window but he was pulling the kitchen curtains with him. It actually was a very funny sight. Would have been a great "America's Funniest Videos" clip.

We left a note on the guy's door letting him know what happened and again reminding him not to feed the squirrels. When he gets home, he promptly comes to the office and demands that we reimburse him for the cost of his curtains. He claimed it was our responsibility because we had faulty screens on the window!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I was a resident manager of a small apartment complex. There was a gentleman that would put peanuts on his windowsill for the squirrels even though we also had a "do not feed squirrels" policy.

One day, as I was sitting in the courtyard, I saw a squirrel on his window sill. The man was not home and the squirrel must have been looking for its daily treat. The kitchen window was open but there was a screen. The hungry squirrel starting chewing through the screen. Before I could react, the squirrel was in the apartment. I called the maintenance guy to knock on the guys door and if he wasn't home to enter and get the pesky rodent. Just as the maintenance guy gets up there, I see the squirrel exiting from the window but he was pulling the kitchen curtains with him. It actually was a very funny sight. Would have been a great "America's Funniest Videos" clip.

We left a note on the guy's door letting him know what happened and again reminding him not to feed the squirrels. When he gets home, he promptly comes to the office and demands that we reimburse him for the cost of his curtains. He claimed it was our responsibility because we had faulty screens on the window!
Ahahahaha!! That sounds like it was absolutely hilarious to watch! I hope you guys put him in his place, and charged him for the damage done to the window screens!

I love to watch squirrels, but I hate the damage they are capable of doing.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post
Ahahahaha!! That sounds like it was absolutely hilarious to watch! I hope you guys put him in his place, and charged him for the damage done to the window screens!

It was very funny! and cute. He actually did get charged for a new screen and since the bill came from the owners (a large corporation) he didn't put up too much of a stink about it. He did, however, continue to feed the squirrels. Luckily, he moved at the end of his lease and the squirrels moved on.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Squirrels will chew through anything and everything. That's reason enough to not do it for me.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Ours says the same thing and for very good reason.

Once those animals get used to being fed by humans they expect to bed fed by humans. I personally do not want to deal with bird poop all over. Duck poop is nasty and we have lakes all around the complex and ppl still feed them even though they are told not to. The ducks poop all over the walkways and the grass..it's gross.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM

91 posts, read 674,039 times
It sounds as if the problem is more with the squirrels than with the birds. So if they could put up just one feeder that the squirrels can't get to, maybe everything would be ok? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

When my relatives first moved in, they didn't put out any food for the first month or two. During that time I didn't see any squirrels (or birds). Now they have two or three squirrels that come by to get food. They've also attracted a lot of birds there. I haven't seen any bird poop anywhere so I can't imagine that's a problem.

Other than birds and squirrels, there aren't any other wild animals around. It's funny how management is worrying about the feeding of wild animals. I'd be more concerned about bedbugs and cockroaches.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
It sounds as if the problem is more with the squirrels than with the birds. So if they could put up just one feeder that the squirrels can't get to, maybe everything would be ok? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Why, when knowing squirrels love bird feeders, would you tempt fate and do it anyway, especially after being explicitly told not to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting