Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 PM

858 posts, read 1,809,474 times

Advertisements

Yes, no bill, no money. You are just reimbursing her for the actual cost, so you NEED to see the bill.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,788,585 times
So I took the advice you guys (and gals) gave me, and I called the power company. I told them I was a prospective tenant and wanted to know the bills for the last few months. The lady on the phone gave me the bills for May and June as well as the highest bill on record and the lowest. She also gave me the average monthly charges.

The number that the girl I was subletting from gave me was HIGHER than the highest bill on record.
My actual usage was actually below average and far below what I (in my head) even thought I used. WannaliveinGreenville, your $50 estimate was REALLY close. The actual charges were, in fact, a bit lower than that. This came as a complete shock to me.

Even when I combine May and June bills together (because I moved in a few days before June started), it still comes out significantly lower than the number she gave me.

I'm so mad. The upset side of me wants to just plainly refuse to pay any bill out of spite. But I'll take responsibility for my usage but NOT A PENNY MORE.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,772,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
So I took the advice you guys (and gals) gave me, and I called the power company. I told them I was a prospective tenant and wanted to know the bills for the last few months. The lady on the phone gave me the bills for May and June as well as the highest bill on record and the lowest. She also gave me the average monthly charges.

The number that the girl I was subletting from gave me was HIGHER than the highest bill on record.
My actual usage was actually below average and far below what I (in my head) even thought I used. WannaliveinGreenville, your $50 estimate was REALLY close. The actual charges were, in fact, a bit lower than that. This came as a complete shock to me.

Even when I combine May and June bills together (because I moved in a few days before June started), it still comes out significantly lower than the number she gave me.

I'm so mad. The upset side of me wants to just plainly refuse to pay any bill out of spite. But I'll take responsibility for my usage but NOT A PENNY MORE.
Your Welcome

Not shocking for it to be $ 50 because I try to keep mine around there as I live alone.

Easier to do all the frugal things like you and I regarding the AC and lights

So I assume you are saying 3 x the amount so she is asking you for $ 150. ?

Huge red flags ! I would move if you can.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,123,148 times
I know you want to pay what you owe, but you still should refuse to do so without SEEING an original bill. Normally I would say a copy but with scanners, etc., she could easily present you with an altered scanned hard copy. Tell her you require a bill directly from the company mailed to you, at which time you will pay the utility. Put this in writing, send it to her by snail mail and by e-mail. Send a copy to the landlord as well since you signed a sub-lease.

You are going to have to cover your bases on this one. DO NOT PAY without a bill directly from the utility company. She will most likely try to sue you in small claims court for more than the bill - to include interest charges, etc. When you reply to the claim, submit all your documentation of attempts to receive the bill, get it in writing from the utility company about the bills for the last 6 months. That should be enough evidence to prove your case and have it dismissed without even going to court unless you want to turn around and sue her for your inconvenience, etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,455 times
A simple solution would be to pay the full amount for the full billing cycle you lived there and then a prorated amount for whatever partial cycles you lived there. You seem to be able to get this info from the power company so it should be easy to figure your obligation.

However, since she is being such a you know what about showing you the bill, I wuldn't give her a dime unless shown actual hard coies of the bill. If she is $800 past due for time you didn't live there, that's her problem. Has she said why she won't show you the bill?

Bottom line, the bill is in her name so it is her responsibility. I know you want to pay your fair share, but if she is being that way, let it go.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,123,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
A simple solution would be to pay the full amount for the full billing cycle you lived there and then a prorated amount for whatever partial cycles you lived there. You seem to be able to get this info from the power company so it should be easy to figure your obligation.

However, since she is being such a you know what about showing you the bill, I wuldn't give her a dime unless shown actual hard coies of the bill. If she is $800 past due for time you didn't live there, that's her problem. Has she said why she won't show you the bill?

Bottom line, the bill is in her name so it is her responsibility. I know you want to pay your fair share, but if she is being that way, let it go.
Exactly - and the problem is that he cannot pay the bill directly to the utility company without an account number as they have already told him. She is not only being a PITA, she is trying to get him to pay her additional charges by charging him 3 times the amount due.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,010 times
Just because you don't want to give up your privacy doesn't mean you have something to hide.... The more people are willing to share private information the less freedom you have as B.F said “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” I was actually wondering the same thing do you have the right to refuse to give your utility account number to the property manager? If they can already monitor your usage I don't see why this information would be nessasary. Please help me understand this. Thanks :-)

Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 PM

274 posts, read 354,195 times
My approach would be different. I would write her a brief note, outlining the information you received, and include a check for the amount you estimate you owe. It won't be off more than a few dollars - so the exact amount is immaterial.

This would accomplish two things:

1. Revenge through embarrassment! She's caught, and you've taken the high road through your objective, fact-based communication. The contrast between her behavior and yours would be stark and heighten her embarrassment. You'll never hear a peep from her again.

2. You would have done the right thing and avoided any back and forth drama.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 PM

10 posts, read 53,042 times
If you are paying your own unit electricity bill then property manager don't even notice this until you have given him any reason to monitor your electricity usage. And there is not any privacy in electricity uses anyone can see your uses.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,010 times
I agree Mark, since the property manager can already monitor your usage then why would the request your account number? What would be their pourpous for this information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting