Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 55,490 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband is planning on retiring in about a year and a half. We are still a young couple as he will only be 56 years old. I have three adult children, 18, 20, 22. I know that my youngest daughter will be moving with us and she is currently attending a junior college and her goal is to receive her AA degree in Theatrical Arts and her minor in Psychology. Is Fernley a good place to retire and bring my daughter. I don't want her to be bored and I would really want her to pursue her career in theater. If this isn't a good place - what would you suggest? We really didn't want to live to far from California,as that is where we live at the moment and if we did move and my children decided to stay in California, we wanted to stay pretty close to them. Any suggestions? We were also thinking of moving to either the Las Vegas area or Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Reno has a fine little theater group, plus the university, Fernley has a main street. Las Vegas is an uninhabitable planet.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 PM

173 posts, read 979,584 times
You guys would like Fernley probably, but I bet your daughter wouldn't. If you are moving to this neck of the woods, come to Reno. Vegas.. ehhh.. I lived there 8 years. Too many angry, over-heated transplanted californians for my taste. Arizona I know little about.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your replys. It's just that I am not so happy with the houses in Reno. The houses that are available in Reno are build 40 years ago. I am looking for homes that are build after 1990's. I know you can't have everything. It's really difficult when planning on moving out of state, were it would be the best place for us. I did enjoy the ride to Fernley, but I really don't think there is a lot to do for young adults. I know that they are planning on building more in Fernley. I really appreicate everyone's replies. I will keep you all posted as to our decision.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM

Look in Spanish Springs and Red Hawk, just north of Sparks

Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 AM

450 posts, read 1,503,562 times
Your smart by staying "CLOSE" to Calif. We moved to Tennessee a little over a year ago. We had lived in Calif our whole lives. When we went to visit in Calif we realized how much we missed family and friends. We are now looking at selling here and moving to the Reno/Sparks area. Me personally! I would like to move to Fernley but wife wants to move somewhere to where there is more things to do. We have found a really nice realtor in Sparks and she seems to know what we want.

We want at least 2 bedroom 2 bath with RV Parking. Either a Condo or a house in the 130K range..
Good Luck

Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
I live in Fernley. I have been here for 6 years. Left once and came back for employment. I have same reason of being here, that appeals to you. I am close to Ca. without being in Ca. I'm from Bishop Ca. where my Mom still resides. My boyfriends Mom is in Stckton. Both are 200 mi. away in different directions and easy weekend trip. I'm 47, no kids but worked at local Wendy's for 3 years. From the outside looking into the teenage population here ( working in fast food I saw this generation and have young friends who went through school here), Fernley is very tough for 18 yr olds. I attend TMCC in Reno which is a junior college. A great school but she will haVE TO COMMUTE 35-40 MI. i LIKE THE DRIVE AND MANY COMMUTE TO RENO. Arts are strong in Reno area. May be great place for our generation especially to escape the rat race of San Jose and still be close to fam. Research for your daughter though, if she is outgoing and strong independent she will want to look into TMCC. Fernley is bad place to influence her to drugs and alcohol, simply nothing to do for young crowd here. This post jumped at me, I hope I was a help.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 AM

QT I second your remarks. Fernley, and most small towns are hell on teenagers unless they have very strong parents.

Fernley is still a small town without much to do.

Horses and dirtbikes are great happiness makers for kids.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks so much for your insight. When we decide to move I don't want to regret it. I just don't like the atmosphere of Reno. But I will look into other areas to see what best fits us. My daughter is a strong independent person, but I still want her to enjoy the area as well. Thanks so much again for your input. I will keep you all informed:-)

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I just don't like the atmosphere of Reno.
I don't understand this. Is your experience of Reno, Downtown? That would make sense, nobody goes downtown, but the rest of Reno is just town with people like people anywhere. Drive up McCarran (South) take the street, I forget the name, it goes around Windy Corner, wonderful homes, great people, cows, horses, llamas. Behind Bartley Ranch Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area