Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 39,801 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Reno soon with a job in place and a short-term lease set up for a rental while I get to know the area. I'm thinking that ultimately I'd like to live somewhere with a small town feel and fast access to the Sierra. What are commute times like from Minden/Gardnerville or Carson City to and from Reno? I remember passing through a few years ago and it seemed that traffic on the 395 south of Reno was pretty congested. I realize that I can calculate driving time on any number of map sites, but what would the commute be like during the "rush hour"? Is it worthwhile even considering these communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,533 times
mapquest.com we don't have RUSH hour. with the high gas prices you should consider living near your job instead of wasting money on gas.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 PM

@30STM Thank you for replying. I am quite familiar with Mapquest but thanks for the reminder. I also realize that there is no real rush hour in the area and hence the quotes. The town I live in now has a total of 3 stoplights, so just about anywhere is going to have more traffic. I also appreciate your sound advice about living close to work. My job however, requires several days at a time at remote sites so it wouldn't be a daily trip, more like up and back once a week.

I'm wondering about the conditions - traffic congestion on the 395, winter driving on this route, etc. - the things that Mapquest can't tell me and it would be nice to get some local insight about. I do realize that I asked about times and should have been more clear.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 44,620 times
Lahontancutt,
I also am thinking of relocating from WA state to Reno area. I've been told by two different sources that Minden and Gardnerville are kinda far. Winter conditions are prolly a lot like Yakima. Slower on black ice, have decent treads, etc. I don't think snow tires are necessary, tho.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAZforum View Post
Lahontancutt,
I also am thinking of relocating from WA state to Reno area. I've been told by two different sources that Minden and Gardnerville are kinda far. Winter conditions are prolly a lot like Yakima. Slower on black ice, have decent treads, etc. I don't think snow tires are necessary, tho.
all is that is very true . if you're working in Reno live in Reno. Why waste life driving and all that wear tear and gas. I personally would rather get some extra sleep and before work and have more personal time for me then wasting it on driving.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM

148 posts, read 545,494 times
I don't know about Minden to Carson, but Carson to Reno I don't ever recall them closing that bc of snow. It may get icy and black ice and people crash then, but otherwise, never closed. It does get super windy around Washoe Lake between the two but unless you're a semi or RV you don't have to worry. It gets congested more in the city limits of Reno, but we just expanded US 395 northbound in Reno to six lanes which def. alleviates traffic. The only prob now is the work on I80 stops up traffic on the US 395 interchange.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Little Drunk View Post
I don't know about Minden to Carson, but Carson to Reno I don't ever recall them closing that bc of snow. It may get icy and black ice and people crash then, but otherwise, never closed. It does get super windy around Washoe Lake between the two but unless you're a semi or RV you don't have to worry. It gets congested more in the city limits of Reno, but we just expanded US 395 northbound in Reno to six lanes which def. alleviates traffic. The only prob now is the work on I80 stops up traffic on the US 395 interchange.

washoe has been closed a few times in the past 10 years due to snow and white outs. The wind is A MAJOR issue and a dangerous place to drive when it is. many accidents occur there when it is snowing and when it is windy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2cG8eLNM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B4wF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFG-kZ6TWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6-bFqG2dGfM

Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Well, I arrived and so have been checking it out for myself. Driving around the 80 and 395 during the mornings and from 4-6pm I don't think I've needed to slow below 50 even once. 30STM is correct that there's no rush hour, at least not in the sense like you would see in the Bay Area or other big cities. The only impediments I've seen are several construction projects occurring on the freeways here, but even those aren't too bad.

Carson to Reno? No problem, the drive goes fast. IMO Minden/Garderville are too far, even in good weather. But, I found a very nice place in town 15 minutes from my job. It' nice that nothing in Reno/Sparks can really be considered far from any other point in town. Very easy city to get around in.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM

44 posts, read 109,243 times
Default Very little congestion

Last Teusday, we drove from Carson to the Reno airport at 5PM, which should be the height of Rush hour. We slowed one time for construction, but really, no problem. If you want to live in a more rural area, it might be worth the drive. It just depends on your preferences. Best of luck!!! This is a great place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area