Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times

Advertisements

The thread "looking bad" got me thinking about our discussions of various topics on this forum. I have two questions to ask and I'd also like to express my opinions on both of the questions. My first question to everyone is this. What is your purpose and motivation when you engage in conversations and debates on the subject of religion? My own personal motivation is that I actually enjoy debating all sorts of things, not just religion, and I like to get into the nuts and bolts of a topic and present my point of view as well as I can. I also must admit that I am trying to persuade others by my statements when I feel strongly about a particular thing and I also do enjoy learning something new. I have also enjoyed making contact with individuals with various points of view and making a more personal connection.
My second question is this. What is the most effective means of debating? This question is going to depend on how you answered the first question so let me express my own view first. To begin with, you've really got to know your own opinion and have the ability to express it in a way that others will clearly understand. I've admitted that I want to persuade others that my opinion has merit. In order to accomplish this I've got to establish some rapport with those who are reading my posts. If I come across as arrogant, insulting or hostile my viewpoint is going to fall flat on it's face because I've just severed any potential connection by my own words. On the other hand, if I can express an idea that actually makes someone sit down and think for a minute then I've made a little progress. Maybe I can build on this idea and get someone to consider that I might be onto something. If I've really done a good job maybe I can get someone to reconsider their position or at least to modify it to accomodate a thought that they've never considered.
Ok, those are my motivations and thoughts about debating. What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
I just think it's fun. Sometimes I go with my own opinion and others I try take the opposite side and post what I think others may think. I think it's important (and also good debate form) to be able to see things from all points of view.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,467 times
My motivation for posting here (I wouldn't even call it debating because to debate implies some sorrt of intelligence....lol) is just to share my opinion. I don't intend to change anyone's mind, even if I did I don't think I could. I find it interesting to learn about others point of views. I also feel that expressing my opinion on this board and reading questions from others and questioning myself has helped me to grow in my own personal testimony.
Like I said I don't think I'd call what I do debating because I don't always have the most intelligent way of expressing things and I'm really not that knowledgeble of religion. I'll settle for reading. Ofcoarse I want what I have to say to have some merit and I hope that people might read what I have to say and hopefully respect and maybe just maybe if I say something well that it could possibly get someone to think in a different way.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Default Why do I inflict myself on you guys...?

uh...because I'm a big blabbermouth and very opinionated??:

Truth be known, that's probably partially true! But I think the more serious reason is simply I guess I hope that someone reading might read something that would cause them to consider coming to Christ. I also hope that some of my posts might provide some answers in some way for other believers who have questions about certain issues. I hope that doesn't sound prideful! As opinionated as I am, I sure don't claim to have all the answers, but I have walked the Christian life long enough to have learned a few things I think.
And as others have said, I think it's fun and interesting!

And BTW, MG, I think you had some really good points about debating and posting. About our attitudes, demeanor and establishing rapport. You are very right.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
This sums it up for me:

YouTube - Monty Python - Argument Clinic

Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
thats funny!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM

954 posts, read 813,097 times
I enjoy discussing different viewpoints........simple as that. My opinions are unlikely to convert the die-hard Christian but I certainly hope that a lurking agnostic will fall my side of the fence.

.....and besides, I'm retired and haven't got anything better to do!!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,563 times
I have my own forum where we debate religion, <font size=6><center>Who's your Final Authority</font> - Message Board - ezboard.com and I frequent others as well. I debate because during my time in doing so I have seen others come to Christ. Love me or hate me that is why I do it.
MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,643 times
Default You're cool, Kay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
uh...because I'm a big blabbermouth and very opinionated??:

Truth be known, that's probably partially true! But I think the more serious reason is simply I guess I hope that someone reading might read something that would cause them to consider coming to Christ. I also hope that some of my posts might provide some answers in some way for other believers who have questions about certain issues. I hope that doesn't sound prideful! As opinionated as I am, I sure don't claim to have all the answers, but I have walked the Christian life long enough to have learned a few things I think.
And as others have said, I think it's fun and interesting!

And BTW, MG, I think you had some really good points about debating and posting. About our attitudes, demeanor and establishing rapport. You are very right.
Kay, you're both funny and smart, as this post shows. I know we don't agree on some things but I just wanted to give you some kudos!

I love a good debate for the same reasons that MG gave. I think it's fun to get down to the nuts and bolts of any given topic and be given the opportunity to express your thought and feelings on it. I also hope that something I "say" resonates with someone, and helps them.

And like Kay, I'm a blabbermouth and opinionated.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread "looking bad" got me thinking about our discussions of various topics on this forum. I have two questions to ask and I'd also like to express my opinions on both of the questions. My first question to everyone is this. What is your purpose and motivation when you engage in conversations and debates on the subject of religion? My own personal motivation is that I actually enjoy debating all sorts of things, not just religion, and I like to get into the nuts and bolts of a topic and present my point of view as well as I can. I also must admit that I am trying to persuade others by my statements when I feel strongly about a particular thing and I also do enjoy learning something new. I have also enjoyed making contact with individuals with various points of view and making a more personal connection.
My second question is this. What is the most effective means of debating? This question is going to depend on how you answered the first question so let me express my own view first. To begin with, you've really got to know your own opinion and have the ability to express it in a way that others will clearly understand. I've admitted that I want to persuade others that my opinion has merit. In order to accomplish this I've got to establish some rapport with those who are reading my posts. If I come across as arrogant, insulting or hostile my viewpoint is going to fall flat on it's face because I've just severed any potential connection by my own words. On the other hand, if I can express an idea that actually makes someone sit down and think for a minute then I've made a little progress. Maybe I can build on this idea and get someone to consider that I might be onto something. If I've really done a good job maybe I can get someone to reconsider their position or at least to modify it to accomodate a thought that they've never considered.
Ok, those are my motivations and thoughts about debating. What are yours?
Good questions MG! I see, from your posts, that you are an educated guy. (good choice of grammer and words, good spelling, good questions, etc). So I appreciate you being on the forum!
Anyway....
A big motivation for me is I just love learning new stuff. It is fun to learn why people believe (or don't believe) as they do, and what exactly they believe in. (If they think God is actually an alien that came from Pluto in a spaceship, I want to know why they think so). And, part of me hopes that something I said will draw them to God and Jesus. How to debate effectively? Hmmm...well...I don't know. I try to throw in a little Bible here and there...'cuz that reflects God's thoughts, not mine...very few people will be influenced by what I think...
Yes, I know...I should use "more gooder" grammer...but I like the redneck talk sometimes! If'n ya'll don't like it...too bad! Thank God my opinion is the only correct one. Now, don't bother me, I have to go talk to God. His saucer just landed in the back yard...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality