Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
I'm an atheist,
That makes about 7 of us. Plus a couple of deists. Maybe we can field a baseball team, although I think the christians here might have a deeper bench.

Last edited by stretch00; 06-12-2007 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: I can't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM

218 posts, read 606,313 times
MG - Strong coffee with half and half (and a crossword puzzle if you've got one handy).
Stretch -- I'm not the youngin' I use to be (on the far side of 40s), but have a pretty good arm. If it's slow pitch, I'll take outfield rover. Or cheerleader. Or water woman. Yeah, I'll get the water and beverages for everybody. Where's the game?

Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times
I am not up for fastball either. I was thinking slowpitch, softball, with beer in the dugout. We can let the christians keep score, because I think that they will feel guilty if they cheat.

I live in NYC, and it is tough to get a ballfield. I suspect MG has more room near him.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I am not up for fastball either. I was thinking slowpitch, softball, with beer in the dugout. We can let the christians keep score, because I think that they will feel guilty if they cheat.

I live in NYC, and it is tough to get a ballfield. I suspect MG has more room near him.
We do know *how* to cheat, though. We learned that when we were yet sinners - you know, agnostics, atheists, etc.

ps. you are too funny!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 PM

218 posts, read 606,313 times
We do know *how* to cheat, though. We learned that when we were yet sinners - you know, agnostics, atheists, etc.

We atheists don't need to cheat, but hey, how about a 5 run lead to start?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
My first question to everyone is this. What is your purpose and motivation when you engage in conversations and debates on the subject of religion?
My purpose and motivation is to express my beliefs/opinions in the hopes someone will find them supportive, helpful, thought provoking and possibly persuasive. I'll admit when I first started, I had the notion that maybe I could sway someone to my belief. But the more I hung around and read the postings, I was no longer so naive. However frustrated I get in some of these threads and want to leave ... something keeps pulling me back. I feel my opinion has as much weight as the next person's. Maybe to someone out there reading it, it will be a "Godsend" to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
My second question is this. What is the most effective means of debating?
Well, MontanaGuy, we have gone a round or two elsewhere on this forum, haven't we? But hopefully as grounded in our respective positions as we each are, and as subborn as we each appear to be (on certain topics, anyway) I hope I haven't offended you -- or anyone else for that matter. You come off (to me) as an intelligent person, strong in his position and not afraid to say so. I respect that. That's what I would want others to see from me (hopefully they do) and would give me at least that respect.

And that's effective debating. Being able to express your opinions/beliefs clearly, effectively, intelligently without offending and with respect for the other participants. Now, with such a topic as religion, that's very hard to accomplish. More than a few toes have been stepped on here and there -- which is to be expected. Instead of getting insulted or "getting even", get back on topic and back up your position.

My debate style (if you can classify it as such) is to read what is being asked and to respond as intelligently and clearly as possible. I have been known to post links to what I believe supports my thoughts/opinions. Whether others consider it fact, proof or otherwise is not my instant concern. When I post what I believe and what I feel is my honest/humble opinion, and I can find reasonable and truthful (IMO) support for it, I'll use it; whether it's the Bible or AiG or some other source. I also like to interject some humor along the way, if I can.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
First, becaue I want to get to heaven. Learning from other Christians has helped me grow in faith, and I do not have many Christian friends, so there is no one to talk to, ask questions . . . or toss things around with. These forums are a blessing to me.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM

954 posts, read 813,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
That makes about 7 of us. Plus a couple of deists. Maybe we can field a baseball team, although I think the christians here might have a deeper bench.
I'm too old to go running around after a ball now but I do have a masseur qualification so I might come in useful.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Blue may be too old to run bases , so can I be the umpire? I promise I will be fair and not hold anyones beliefs or nonbeliefs against them when they're up to bat or slidin' on home

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I would love to be able to join in this baseball game...but unfortunately I've never seen the ball field so I can't be 100% sure that it exists. Please be aware that this does not presuppose that I believe it DOESN'T exist. Those are two different things.

In order to get to the ball field, would I be required to go under someone else's exact road map directions? This could be a problem because what if I run into a road block? Then I would have to either risk going under my own directions and getting lost and being told "I told you so," or going back which would lead people to believe I never even tried.

That's not even to mention that I must object to a sport that is obviously male-dominated, considering the fact that its entire purpose is to handle balls.

Are the rules of the game inflexible? Or are we allowed to use our own discretion?

"Baseball. NOT a game for deists or agnostics."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality