Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 AM

284 posts, read 321,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
One has evidence, the other has zilch.
Unless you have compiled and pieced together this 'evidence' for yourself, just like religious people, you have been hooked by words on a page. Religious people idolise their words as 'Scripture', you idolise yours as scientific 'evidence'.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 AM

284 posts, read 321,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
There's this little thing called "peer review"...
You're right. 'Peer review' is a little thing. Just because fellow Christian leaders review each others' sermons and Scriptural interpretations, it doesn't make any of them right.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,735,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
How do you know that any photos or any other scientific evidence is real, if you 'weren't there' and didn't discover the evidence for yourself? The interesting thing is that most people who are so confident that information published in the Bible is fictional are also equally sure that information published in scientific textbooks is fact.
Science has evidence, Bible, none.

But it is a pointless debate since this ark was already proven a hoax, by a man who was there.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,598,990 times
Quote:
Unless you have compiled and pieced together this 'evidence' for yourself, just like religious people, you have been hooked by words on a page. Religious people idolise their words as 'Scripture', you idolise yours as scientific 'evidence'.

What is that quote again?

Oh yes:

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,598,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That does not change the fact that you need to get a life.

Both these sides, Noah's Ark is unprovable. It's a matter of belief.

Take it or leave it. You dorks will seriously sit here arguing for it? Why not spend that energy elsewhere?

The believers believe it and the non-believers don't. Get over it and do something productive, like, go to the gym.

You too, Konradenne
And yet here you are. Who needs to get a life?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,934,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, worshippers will still believe, in general. The Piltdown Hoax didn't convince any actual believers in human origins and evolution in general to no longer believe evolution took place.

The ark "find" being a scam (and I definitely believe it is...again) doesn't illegitimize (is that a word?) God part and parcel. Sh*t happens, liars abound, no matter what demographic you're talking about.
Did you know piltdown was forged not to prove evolution, but to put the supposed "missing link" in England, so haughty tea quaffing gentlemen could remain secure in the belief that they were the masters of the universe by birthright?

Ironically enough, it's the same basic motivation for religious "proof".

Last edited by Chango; 04-29-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,213,381 times
Quote:
Why exactly seven of each of the clean ones? Why any unclean ones? I don't see that there is a moral basis behind this instruction.
I don't either. I don't think that part is a "moral" instruction at all. In some religions, you'll see certain numbers repeating. Seven is a common one, I believe.

Why did it need to be a moral instruction? Just curious?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,213,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Did you know piltdown was forged not to prove evolution, but to put the supposed "missing link" in England, so haughty tea quaffing gentlemen could remain secure in the belief that they were the masters of the universe by birthright.

Ironically enough, it's the same basic motivation for religious "proof".
Yes, I did know that. I have a huge interest in human origins. It's one of my pet studies. I'm endlessly fascinated, for some reason. I also love history in general (from a storytelling v. biological perspective). I spoke from experience when I said discovering boaxes or b.s. or power plays, etc. in the world of archaeology definitely hasn't made me decide the whole thing is bogus--just that in any segment of life, there can be a liar or two (or a misguided person).

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,262,326 times
i guess there that 0.1% had merit after all-

Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM

7,628 posts, read 11,024,967 times
How can Pharyngula say the Ark finding is a fake? Oh that's right, people who often embrace any whim of science can dismiss other evidence without a scientific review. I believe they call people like this, blind faith believers. No evidence needed, just their personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality