Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,840,505 times

Advertisements

Is it a sin if you do a wrong because the right would be hurtful or not in the best interest of the majority?

For example: Assuming no sin is greater than any other, if you lie to your friend when she asks how she looks and say "you look fine" when you are really thinking "geez get a mirror!" is the lie a sin?

Another example: If you send troops into war to kill the enemy in order to sustain freedom for your own country is the act of killing still a sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,769,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Is it a sin if you do a wrong because the right would be hurtful or not in the best interest of the majority?

For example: Assuming no sin is greater than any other, if you lie to your friend when she asks how she looks and say "you look fine" when you are really thinking "geez get a mirror!" is the lie a sin?

Another example: If you send troops into war to kill the enemy in order to sustain freedom for your own country is the act of killing still a sin?
on my way out the door, but to answer the last one, murder is a sin,being at war is not murder because they will kill you. there is an old movie pretty much based on this, its called Sergent York, based on a true story, the guy wrestles with his beliefs before going into war. I guess thats why there used to be a clause--conscientous objector. just my thoughts

Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Quote:

Well, I am probably not the person to ask, but I believe that there are necessary evil's to do a greater good. I guess you could be a complete introvert and tell everyone you meet how ugly they are or how disgusting they dress but something tells me you wouldn't be a very happy person.

Not to get into politics or anything but who is really at fault for the way things are right now in Iraq/Middle East? Is it really W's fault? Or is it the people who voted him in office that are the ones that sent our boys into the fight. We knew in 2004 that we weren't leaving Iraq. We had a pretty good idea of that. We still voted for him anyway. Now, of course, with the exception of the extreme right everyone denies it but he still won. So, aren't we to blame for voting a guy like this into office? Aren't we, the public, the real war machine?

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,324,257 times
Oh, Irishmom, where do you come up with these thing??

I think I've already weighed in on this issue on Plad's "tricky one" thread of a week or so ago. IMHO, there are times when lying is the moral thing to do.
As I said then, you're hiding Jews in your attic and the Nazis come to your door and ask if you are hiding Jews. There are incidences in the Bible when people seem to be deceptive and God seems to condone it.

As for war, there were wars that God commanded to be fought.

In general, there are moral principles, but sometimes they collide with other moral principles and the HIGHEST moral principle then has to be adhered to. Now that I've thoroughly confused everyone including myself....

As for "social lies," toughie. I try to avoid those situations!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well, I am probably not the person to ask, but I believe that there are necessary evil's to do a greater good. I guess you could be a complete introvert and tell everyone you meet how ugly they are or how disgusting they dress but something tells me you wouldn't be a very happy person.

Not to get into politics or anything but who is really at fault for the way things are right now in Iraq/Middle East? Is it really W's fault? Or is it the people who voted him in office that are the ones that sent our boys into the fight. We knew in 2004 that we weren't leaving Iraq. We had a pretty good idea of that. We still voted for him anyway. Now, of course, with the exception of the extreme right everyone denies it but he still won. So, aren't we to blame for voting a guy like this into office? Aren't we, the public, the real war machine?
Ok so if whether it's the voters or the commander in chief....is the act of war a sin when you know it will involve killing? Even if the war is for the greater good? Let's use WWII I think most agree that was for the greater good.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Oh, Irishmom, where do you come up with these thing??

In general, there are moral principles but sometimes they collide with other moral principles and the HIGHEST moral principle then has to be adhered to. Now that I've thoroughly confused everyone including myself....
Let's see...

1) I think I pull them out of my hyperactive thought processes?...LOL

2) I think you just actually answered my question! Not confusing at all...should I be scared or should you!...LOL

Old 05-24-2007, 03:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,324,257 times
Quote:
Let's see...

1) I think I pull them out of my hyperactive thought processes?...LOL

2) I think you just actually answered my question! Not confusing at all...should I be scared or should you!...LOL
LOL-maybe we BOTH need therapy!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,525 times
just as long as it is for the better good.....i've done things a lot of ppl would consider evil in order for 1000 more ppl to keep the good...no regrets just grateful for the good days and too see a complete stranger walking with a smile on their face

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM

142 posts, read 250,544 times
There are not ten commandments, only two. Or at least that's what Matthew 22 tells me. And I kind of have to agree that the ten commandments are just basic guidelines to help with a concept. That concept is that all that God requires is for you to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself.

I think we look at it in the wrong way if we try to make a legalistic checklist out of it and say okay do not lie, check don't steal, check etc. You do not do those things because you have love for your fellow man.

Whether it's a bad comparison or not the closest thing off the top of my head that I can think of right now is driving a car. You could have multiple commandments saying don't crash into a house, don't crash into a tree, don't crash into me. It says all of these things not to crash into but really what it's saying is don't crash into anything. I am of the opinion that during the time that the ten commandments were written don't crash into anything (love God, love people) was too baffling for the people so it had to be broken down into don't crash into a school, don't crash into a gas station, don't crash into this garden (don't kill, don't commit adultery). However once you live the concept, what you ought to do just automatically flows. Kind of like learning a different language. At first you think in your original language and then translate into the language you are learning in your head but eventually you'll automatically think in the language you are learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality