Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM

433 posts, read 588,081 times

Advertisements

This is why religion is so wrong -- if you did something wrong, you need to take real life corrective actions. What do you mean God forgave you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM

360 posts, read 445,113 times
Actually, as far as I know, the Catholic Church (and one may assume most other churches) takes the stance that a person must face criminal charges for a crime if they confess it in church. It's called cooperating with the law; it's actually pretty common, since churches hardly want their priests arrested for withholding information.

Of course, I get the feeling that what I say is irrelevant to you -- you didn't bother to check and clearly see that people do take "corrective actions" and you probably won't bother to check afterwards, since you seem to be stubborn in your belief religion is bad for people.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,253,332 times
i usually ask for forgivness in advancement-"forgive me lord for i am about to sin"

Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM

460 posts, read 594,218 times
Absolutely!

I am rather dismayed by the "justice" factor within our psyche that demands repayment.

"Go and sin no more" was not an admonition for paying a price for sinning. It was a commandment, if you will, of "stop doing it."

The karmic concept of justice, the weighing of "good" and "bad" deeds still infiltrates our religious psyche. The emphasis has become more on doing "good deeds" for the sakes of our souls and the desire for restitution.

Forgiveness really means "it never happened."

Even as we were taught to pray "Forgive them . . . as you have forgiven us" means that we should not be asking for or looking for justice. Loving one another at its root is forgiveness, even if "they" do it seven times seventy times.

We are not in the world to either pass judgment or sit in judgment. We are now "above" the world and its warped sense of justice. We love and we love some more, which invokes forgiveness at every juncture.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,619,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
This is why religion is so wrong -- if you did something wrong, you need to take real life corrective actions. What do you mean God forgave you?
I am not aware of any religion or christian denomination that teaches that God forgives without action on the part of the penitent. I have always been taught that forgiveness comes with recognition, repentance and confession of the sin to those involved. If the sin is against a person, you have to confess to the person you sinned against, if to the church you have to confess to the church body and if against God you must confess to God.

My own belief is that if you repent with the intention of committing the sin again, then you are not truly repentant and so are not forgiven.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,165,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
In my belief of the Creator, as any great father that is hurt by his children, "he is always ready to forgive" as long as we ask him to and ask for his guidance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality