Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 03:49 PM

18,114 posts, read 27,625,611 times

Advertisements

I don't think that God punishes people or mankind. I would have a hard time keeping my faith in times of catastrophe, such as Katrina, Tsunami, starvation, terrorism, floods, etc. We were never guaranteed a picnic.

If certain people reach puberty at a certain time, maybe they are more prone to develop that way. I don't know if that is true or not. It's what a certain text book says.

What about some of these Priests? I think within the realm of homosexuality, they have a range of different levels. If their behavior harms others, that's bad in itself. But it doesn't describe the whole realm of that group.

Our sex instinct is God-given and therefore good. When it's used selfishly it will harm others. I don't want to mess with mine. Within that instinct, we all have sex problems. If we didn't, we wouldn't be human. I don't want to be the arbiter of anybody's sex life. I'll stick to my own and I go to God with that. God is everything or God is nothing. We all need help in that area.

If they nail down the sex gene, then that would seem to open up a whole new can of worms.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,680,926 times
dreameyes wrote:
Quote:
All I'm really trying to say is that all Christians have strong opinions but NOT all Christians think it is necessary to "impose" those opinions on others.
I agree. I think your last couple of posts were very good but possibly misunderstood. Human beings have such a wide variety of beliefs and desires that they can't be forced into one acceptable mode of conformity. I also agree that Christians have the same rights and should be able to live according to their beliefs. As you suggested, we just need to respect each other and have a live and let live attitude.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 PM

30,463 posts, read 52,182,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
How is that denial taking place?
Through the anti-gay marriage movement, and proposed bills that deny them of rights... not only marriage, but many also oppose including sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws, and believe they shouldn't receive partner benefits either. If that isn't "denying", I don't know what is...

Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 PM

30,463 posts, read 52,182,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
I think that environment has a ton to do with later-life orientation. If you are a 1 year old boy raised by two women, I think that you will 'arrive' at 'teenhood' with a different value-set than if you were raised by a hetero couple. Not better or worse, but with different ideas as to what to feel about things. Same applies if you were raised by two men. You're probably going to think its OK to kiss a guy-pal,until everyone asks "what the hell do you think you're doing?" That can lead to a lot of trauma for an 8 year old boy, or even harder for a twelve YO boy!
I don't think that's true at all, since we usually don't develop these feelings (who should kiss whom, lol) until puberty... and by that point, it's mostly society and social circles that lead your behavior. I know kids who were raised by gay parents, and none of them seemed confused - in fact, the daughter of a lesbian I know was caught kissing a boy at school, at the tender age of 11. I actually think being raised by gay parents could have advantages, since (from what I've seen) it makes the kids more compassionate, non-judgmental, and sensitive toward "different" people.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
dreameyes wrote:

I agree. I think your last couple of posts were very good but possibly misunderstood. Human beings have such a wide variety of beliefs and desires that they can't be forced into one acceptable mode of conformity. I also agree that Christians have the same rights and should be able to live according to their beliefs. As you suggested, we just need to respect each other and have a live and let live attitude.
Thanks MontanaGuy. I appreciate your respectfullness (?)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 17,353,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Ya and the ACLU and screaming liberals are largely the moving force behind a lot of things Christians don't like either. So what's your point. This is America. A democratic and diverse nation. Christians shouldn't have a voice because you don't like it. And since when is having an opinion imposing my will on others. Don't generalize Christians. Not all of us think our opinions should be mandate. This is a free country and as far as I'm concerned gays should be free to marry whom they want and do what they want without being persecuted.
And another thing like gays arn't trying to impose their beliefs on people by trying to get them to accept something that is totally unacepptable to that person. Why can't we all just respect each others opinions?
1. What things are the ACLU and screaming liberals pushing?

2. EVERYONE should have a voice. But at the same time, we have to work as hard as possible to ensure that everyone is equal in government affairs and programs (I think you and I agree here).

3. I can't tell whether you were asking a question or making a statement, but gays, at least myself, aren't attempting to impose our beliefs upon you. We just want you to leave us alone (unpersecuted) in the public square. Reference: Don't generalize gays!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 17,353,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
How is that denial [of love] taking place?
Well, it would seem strange to a mainstream Christian like yourself. But some of us think that being gay is natural, and thus my potential love for another man would be unacceptable were I to choose to follow a Christian sect that taught ex-gay or gay celibacy.

On a more pragmatic note, my partner couldn't use my Target employee discount, while my coworkers spouses can. Much more indirect than barring love, but much more exemplary of the discrimination faced by the GLBTQ community.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Reference: Don't generalize gays!
Fair enough There are a lot of pushy obnoxious Christians and there are a lot of pushy obnoxious gays of which neither of us are either.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,567,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Fair enough There are a lot of pushy obnoxious Christians and there are a lot of pushy obnoxious gays of which neither of us are either.
The most pushy gays wouldn't want to make a non-gay person gay against their will, but we can't say the same for the pushy christians

Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
The most pushy gays wouldn't want to make a non-gay person gay against their will, but we can't say the same for the pushy christians
Agreed. Everyone has their own free will and is free to do with their life as they choose. That is what I believe is one of the greatest gifts from (shhhhhh!) dare I say God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality