Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,796,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You know... I don't see how you can say this. When evolutionists try to open a museum they get picketed from Christians.
Evolutionsts don't just "try" to open museums ... they already have their museums all over the place. Any Natural History Museum in any major city already expouses the evolution theory. There aren't petitions circulating for their closure.

However, this creation museum in northern KY, not far from Cincinatti Int'l Airport, is privately funded on private property and yet people still are telling others not to go, it's wrong, it's unscientific, etc., etc., but it's not even open to the public yet and they haven't even set foot in it, seen the exhibits, displays or presentations. Now, is that fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,898,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Aw shucks MontanaGuy, I don't just "admit" to being a Hannity fan, I wear the badge proudly!

And I don't know anything about the one in Texas but this is suppose to be a very well researched and planned out museum in Ky.
Ken Hamm is pretty rock-solid, as far as I am concerned. I'm sure that museum is going to be very impressive. Apparently by the ruckus stirring, too impressive to ignore!

I've never heard of one in Texas, so just the fact this thing is making news tells me there's more to what he has to say than some would like to admit.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,898,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Now, is that fair?

....no, but it is quite telling....

Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
mams1559 wrote:
Quote:
Now, is that fair?
I can see why you would think it's not fair but here's the problem. The teaching of creationism as legitimate science undermines our educational system. No matter how fancy or expensive the displays are it's still trying to put forth a theory that has no validity. Suppose a young person visits this museum and is interested in medicine and wants to be a doctor. When they go to college and med school they're going to have to unlearn all of this nonsense and start from scratch. Evolution is the foundation for understanding biology and anyone in the medical field needs to be able to grasp it. When a doctor talks about the brain stem being the most ancient part of the brain they're referring to human evolution and how our bodies have developed. I don't think you're going to see any medical textbooks with studies of Adam and Eve or Noah's ark.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I can see why you would think it's not fair but here's the problem. The teaching of creationism as legitimate science undermines our educational system. No matter how fancy or expensive the displays are it's still trying to put forth a theory that has no validity. Suppose a young person visits this museum and is interested in medicine and wants to be a doctor. When they go to college and med school they're going to have to unlearn all of this nonsense and start from scratch. Evolution is the foundation for understanding biology and anyone in the medical field needs to be able to grasp it. When a doctor talks about the brain stem being the most ancient part of the brain they're referring to human evolution and how our bodies have developed. I don't think you're going to see any medical textbooks with studies of Adam and Eve or Noah's ark.
That's your opinion and you're more than welcome to it. In my opinion it is scientifically valid. Believing in a literal creation has no bearing on medicine. In fact, the inventor of the MRI is a biblical creationist. The argument of "remedial instruction" in science because you believe in biblical creation is without merit. Plenty of Ph.D's and other persons in the sciences perform just as well or better than their counterparts who are non-believers in a literal creation. Evolution is not necessary for a foundation in biology. All the modern scientists explain what we see and what they're teaching from an evolutionary standpoint. I don't happen to agree. In my opinion, the entire brain was created all at once and is the same age. Does this mean I can't study and understand how it works now? IMO, no. And how does this hypothetical doctor know how brains developed? Was he there? Was it observed? No. They use presuppositions and assumptions to arrive at their conclusions. Biblical creationism and evolution are two different thought processes upon which people approach the same scientific evidence. The operational science is the same.

BTW, my mother is a devout Christian, has been since childhood. She is in the medical profession and graduated top of her class with honors from college -- and still doesn't believe in evolution. She tells me all the time it astounds her how people in her field can't see what is so obvious to her. She had anatomy and physiology and all the rest and she sees it as a marvel of God's work -- not the random processes over millions of years -- our complicated and yet delicate bodies and how they work.

Oh, and why would Noah's Ark be in a medical class? Just curious

Old 05-21-2007, 04:55 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,822,880 times
Quote:
Evolutionsts don't just "try" to open museums ... they already have their museums all over the place. Any Natural History Museum in any major city already expouses the evolution theory. There aren't petitions circulating for their closure.

However, this creation museum in northern KY, not far from Cincinatti Int'l Airport, is privately funded on private property and yet people still are telling others not to go, it's wrong, it's unscientific, etc., etc., but it's not even open to the public yet and they haven't even set foot in it, seen the exhibits, displays or presentations. Now, is that fair?
Well these people aren't petitioning to close the creationist museum either...they are rallying people to denounce the teaching that evolution doesn't exist. I don't know it sounds pretty similar to me to Christians screaming that creationism is right and evolution is a hoax. Again you can go to the link below to read the petition that they are circulating, and it clearly states that they are not opposed to AIG opening the museum or believing what they want...they just don't want them to promote their view as a replacement for science. http://ga3.org/campaign/creationmuseum/na03nw6im?

Oh and for the record I still think creationism doesn't negate evolution or vice versa.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well these people aren't petitioning to close the creationist museum either...they are rallying people to denounce the teaching that evolution doesn't exist. I don't know it sounds pretty similar to me to Christians screaming that creationism is right and evolution is a hoax. Again you can go to the link below to read the petition that they are circulating, and it clearly states that they are not opposed to AIG opening the museum or believing what they want...they just don't want them to promote their view as a replacement for science. http://ga3.org/campaign/creationmuseum/na03nw6im?

Creationism is not a replacement for science. It's a different approach to science. And as far as I know, AiG doesn't want to quit teaching evolution in schools, they just want the evidence against it taught as well.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,822,880 times
Quote:
Creationism is not a replacement for science. It's a different approach to science. And as far as I know, AiG doesn't want to quit teaching evolution in schools, they just want the evidence against it taught as well.
Well creationism is faith based, not scientific...so it doesn't really belong in public schools, separation of church and state and all. There is a lot more scientific evidence of evolution than there is of creationism...that's just a fact. Now if this museum does have some real proof that may change, I'm sure with all the controversy there will be some independent reviews done on the exhibits to see if there is any science backing it up. But most people don't think of it as another way at looking at science they look at it as a way to deny science and promote faith. Now I am all for the combination of the two complimenting eachother being taught at my son's school, but he is in a religious school so that would be appropriate...but you can't push one faith over the other in public schools...that teaching would have to fall to the parents. I think we should all look up reviews on the opening next weekend and come back to this subject...it should be very interesting.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,676,720 times
Quote:
What science is there in Creationism?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
mams1559 wrote:
Quote:
That's your opinion and you're more than welcome to it. In my opinion it is scientifically valid.
In order to be scientifically valid it must follow the scientific method. Creationism doesn't do that. It starts from the standpoint that we already have all of the answers in Genesis, now we just need to go out and prove them. They haven't had much luck though, so far they haven't found any evidence at all. The point I'm trying to make is that science just follows the facts and the evidence and goes wherever that might lead to. Creationism does the opposite. Oh, and my comment about Noah's ark was just a smart remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality