Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,137,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Truth be known, you'd probably be able to figure out a way to win both sides...at least in (both)your opinions...
You're probably right... or maybe you're wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,691,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I'm just curious as to what others think. there are a few threads started by atheists, and then the vast majority of the others seem to be Christian threads. Why are there not Jews or Muslims or others starting threads? I know there are more Christians in this country than others, but still...it seems odd to me. Is it b/c Christians just like to talk about their religion more? Or is there some other reason?
Why would anyone want to put themselves through this blender? Most of the Christians here aren't going to be civil....some will...but not all. The mod is openly Christian.

It's hardly worth it, unless you have a very thick skin.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,691,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Maybe they aren't members or maybe they don't know about this part of City Data, everyone is welcome to voice their opinion here.
I somehow doubt that. It's not that Wiccans, Pagans, Muslims, Atheists and Agnostics don't know about the forums...but....really...look at the threads.....why would anyone without a thick skin want to post here if they weren't some sort of right wing Christian?

You might not be personally lynching them on the edge of town...but....lol....you are living in a dream world if you think it's friendly towards most folk.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:48 AM

954 posts, read 816,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I somehow doubt that. It's not that Wiccans, Pagans, Muslims, Atheists and Agnostics don't know about the forums...but....really...look at the threads.....why would anyone without a thick skin want to post here if they weren't some sort of right wing Christian?

You might not be personally lynching them on the edge of town...but....lol....you are living in a dream world if you think it's friendly towards most folk.
I agree entirely with this. I only have to post "Good Morning" and I get an infraction for it. When I started the thread "Tricky one", some Christians were jumping up and down and complaining to the mods, yet a Christian started a thread called " A Tricky(er) One", which was basically the same sort of thing as mine.......an there was no protest from Christians whatsoever. This post will no doubt get me another infraction........Oh well!!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 AM

5,919 posts, read 3,828,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I agree entirely with this. I only have to post "Good Morning" and I get an infraction for it. When I started the thread "Tricky one", some Christians were jumping up and down and complaining to the mods, yet a Christian started a thread called " A Tricky(er) One", which was basically the same sort of thing as mine.......an there was no protest from Christians whatsoever. This post will no doubt get me another infraction........Oh well!!
Hey guys, I didn't complain and I never do. I prefer to debate and voice my opinions about Christianity and about your beliefs until we are both blue in the face. I did complain though, to the mods about playing favorites.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 AM

[quote=Northsouth;740599]
Quote:
Hey guys, I didn't complain and I never do. I prefer to debate and voice my opinions about Christianity and about your beliefs until we are both blue in the face.
Me too, I love a rattling good debate where the sparks fly!! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be allowed on C-D.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:27 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,739,240 times
Debates are great. Thick skin is important to survive here and in the real world. I am openly Christian and the administrator and senior mods new that when they asked me to become moderator. They also knew that I am not the type of person who deletes posts or gives infractions because I disagree with someone's point of view. If that were the case then I would not be a moderator. Becoming a mod is not an easy task...they don't give it out to just anyone.

When we give out infractions we're also looking at intent and tone behind the words. The words might not be bad, but the spirit in which it was wrote is taken into account.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 AM

34,313 posts, read 20,607,731 times
I think Native American people have a lot in common with you gizmo980. In this country that supposedly believes in freedom of religion, the Native American Church (NAC) was not legal until what, early 1900's? In the north, the Lakota had their sweat lodges hidden from Americans, who misunderstood it and who thought it should be illegal.

And there are other tribes who have ceremonies which are not open to non-Indians. Some parts of our culture are still guarded closely.

As a rule, we simply don't broadcast our ways to the world. Although I have known a few anglos who are readily accepted by the tribes because they are good people.

As an anthropology major, I have always been interested in learning about different beliefs and cultures and that includes religions. But to have a decent conversation or open exchange with someone on CD is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, as the resident Jew (LOL), I'll attempt to give you some reasons...

1. They simply outnumber everyone else!

2. As the only practicing Jew here, I'd be talking to myself if I started a Jewish chat thread... I could start a debate or informative one, but really don't have the time, energy, or Biblical knowledge. Plus, it would be a tad frustrating to be the only one commenting from my perspective.

3. As you said, we do tend to "go about our business" more, and Judaism in particular is against the idea of recruiting or proselytizing. Traditional beliefs are that you have to be born of a Jewish mother to be a Jew, so there's really no point in recruiting anyone - especially since we're not concerned with other religion's beliefs. We love to discuss our faith, but the real scholars generally prefer to only debate amongst themselves (about Talmudic beliefs in particular)... most of them wouldn't even consider me a worthy "opponent", since I'm of the Reform sect.

4. Many people on this board, and in this country, tend to forget other religions exist... to most it's "Christians vs. Atheists", and we simply don't even come to mind. That's probably the worst, being ignored & left-out, which is something we're unfortunately used to. Okay, those are my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,585,608 times
I liked redbirds post. I think the native americans have a beautiful, basic religion from what I have read. I also respect them for not broadcasting so much about it. Don't know if this is true or not, but I think that Gods wonderful gift of the beauty of nature has a huge part of their religion. I always feel so close to God when I behold the wonder, beauty and signs of nature. I also think that if it were publicized all over the place it would be at the mercy of criticizers

Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Debates are great. Thick skin is important to survive here and in the real world. I am openly Christian and the administrator and senior mods new that when they asked me to become moderator. They also knew that I am not the type of person who deletes posts or gives infractions because I disagree with someone's point of view. If that were the case then I would not be a moderator. Becoming a mod is not an easy task...they don't give it out to just anyone.

When we give out infractions we're also looking at intent and tone behind the words. The words might not be bad, but the spirit in which it was wrote is taken into account.
I understand what you are saying Hoosier-guy, but you've given me a few infractions and I couldn't see a good reason for them. The problem I see here is this. How can a mod be sure that he/she has correctly interpreted the spirit in which something is said? For example, no end of Christians have said to me "I feel sorry for you that you haven't found Jesus". .....but, I personally find what they say to be offensive because it implies that my life is somehow meaningless or worthless because I don't have religion.

Now I'm sure a Christian would not get an infraction for saying the above but if I were to say to them " I feel very sorry for you because you are deluded and you are wasting your life on myths and fairy tales", I would probably be issued with an infraction for not respecting their beliefs. Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality