Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times

Advertisements

LOL! Because Congress isn't populated by a majority of gay people who are intent on blocking civil rights from Christians, perhaps??? Or because 70, 80, 90% of society isn't deluded into thinking that Christianity is a disease, disgusting, deserves death, or will sent you straight to hell, and because of that, you're somehow less of a person???

Please, don't even begin to think that any persecution you perceive as a person of religion is equitable to persecutions suffered by true minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
HASN'T THE "gay" issue been exhausted? Aren't there some other sins that need addressing

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
HASN'T THE "gay" issue been exhausted? Aren't there some other sins that need addressing
I don't know.. ask the gay people here.. Hey gay people.. do you feel welcomed with opened arms into the Christian family?

I'm guessing you'll hear crickets with that question..

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
Quote:
Why is it that those who cry out for tolerance can't tolerate those who disagree with them?
Because we should all strive to end bigotry. The people who are speaking out against people who align themselves with christianity and "speak out" against homosexuality, are fighting against discrimination.

Its not a lack of tolerance for a difference of opinion, its a lack of tolerance for bigots.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Funny how that doesn't go both ways. When Christians speak out against homosexuality, we're branded as bigots and hatemongers. When you want to speak out against Christianity, it's somehow a virtue. Why is it that those who cry out for tolerance can't tolerate those who disagree with them?
BIG difference - homosexuals don't hate Christians for being Christian, they hate the intolerance many Christians show towards them. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with gay-friendly Christians or churches, right? As I can fully understand, it's pretty difficult to love and respect people who call you deviants, perverts, tell you you're going to Hell, and so forth.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
BIG difference - homosexuals don't hate Christians for being Christian, they hate the intolerance many Christians show towards them.
and Christians don't hate homosexuals for "being homosexual", they hate the sin many homosexuals are living in.

So, we'll work on our attitude if you'll work on the sin!

(actually, we need to watch our attitude regardless)

Last edited by cg81; 11-09-2007 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
That sounds like a cute joke, but, unfortunately, the prejudice built into the system as a direct result of the narrow-minded viewpoints of Christians detrimentally affects tens of thousands of peoples' lives every single day.

It's not really something to joke about. At all.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That sounds like a cute joke, but, unfortunately, the prejudice built into the system as a direct result of the narrow-minded viewpoints of Christians detrimentally affects tens of thousands of peoples' lives every single day.

It's not really something to joke about. At all.
I agree... and that old line of "hate the sinner not the sin" is a bunch of bull, in my humble opinion. Despite the endless debating points I (and others) have given, including the fact that not all homosexuals practice "forbidden acts," the discrimination and hate continues. I may not be gay myself, but I've seen with my own eyes how people can act - especially since I'm occasionally mistaken for a lesbian (it's the arm tattoos & the company I keep ). If people are really only hating the sin, why were my friend & I given a dirty look just for walking down the street? Do they know what we do or don't do in bed?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
I agree... and that old line of "hate the sinner not the sin" is a bunch of bull, in my humble opinion.
Well, regarding your quote:
Quote:
homosexuals don't hate Christians for being Christian, they hate the intolerance many Christians show towards them.
....this is much the same idea. It doesn't really make sense when you take it apart, if by "intolerance" you mean going against what we believe to be biblical teaching. However, if you mean hatred, vilifying, etc.. then yes, Christians never be identified with this.

Quote:
Despite the endless debating points I (and others) have given, including the fact that not all homosexuals practice "forbidden acts," the discrimination and hate continues. I may not be gay myself, but I've seen with my own eyes how people can act - especially since I'm occasionally mistaken for a lesbian (it's the arm tattoos & the company I keep ). If people are really only hating the sin, why were my friend & I given a dirty look just for walking down the street? Do they know what we do or don't do in bed?
I agree, it appears that these people are not only hating the sin... they are passing judgement.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,494 times
Quote:
I agree... and that old line of "hate the sinner not the sin" is a bunch of bull, in my humble opinion. Despite the endless debating points I (and others) have given, including the fact that not all homosexuals practice "forbidden acts," the discrimination and hate continues. I may not be gay myself, but I've seen with my own eyes how people can act - especially since I'm occasionally mistaken for a lesbian (it's the arm tattoos & the company I keep ). If people are really only hating the sin, why were my friend & I given a dirty look just for walking down the street? Do they know what we do or don't do in bed?
How do you know it was a Christian who gave you the dirty look? Or are you just presuming?

Gizmo, you know darned good and well that Christians are hated for what they believe. It doesn't matter how much we try to say we are opposed to denying anyone equal rights, we are still confronted about what we believe. Period.

Oh, BTW - it's likewise pretty hard to love and respect people when they constantly calls us bigots and hatemongers because we simply profess what we believe. I've never EVER once at ANY TIME IN MY LIFE ever tried to deny ANYONE equal rights to anything. I don't CONDONE those who want to deny equal rights to anyone. (The exception would be abortion, but I don't think that involves anyone's "rights".) Yet somehow or another, I'm STILL the bad guy.

Go figure.

If those who are so damned "tolerant" want everyone else to be tolerant, they themselves need to accept that there are those who disagree with them. That's what tolerance is. Funny thing is, however, that Christians are FORCED to put up with something they disagree with. For example, if they have kids, they have no right to tell the school district whether they wanted their child learning about homosexuality in school. But try to teach them about God, and suddenly they'd be the bad guy. Who's the intolerant one there?

Chielgirl said...
Quote:
When "christians" stop killing gay people in the name of their god; when Fred Phelps and his ilk stop protesting homosexuality at inappropriate venues; when christians stop trying to make laws against gay people, when christians start promoting equality for all people in all things, it will be easier.

When you're being attacked, denied housing and employment, even membership in the boy scouts, to name a few discriminations, it's a little difficult to look lovingly at those persecuting and causing you harm, don't you think?
Where is the tolerance and "love" in that post? Are Christians simply supposed to stand back and be told WE have to be loving and tolerant, but accept all the crap that's hurled at us? I've tried stating in the past, in response to Chielgirl no less, that true Christians aren't any of these things she mistakenly thinks they are. True Christians don't kill gay people in the name of God. I hardly consider Fred Phelps a true Christian, and I've consistently spoken out against him in the past. I do NOT support any laws against gay people, nor do I wish to see them treated unequally. In fact, I support secular gay marriages. I just don't think a church should be forced perform them or recognize them if it goes against their beliefs. That's all.

I don't think gays should be attacked, denied housing (so long as they respect the landlord's wishes) nor do I think they should be denied employment (so long as the other employees aren't forced to go to gay-pride events, such as the straight firefighters who were forced to march in a gay pride parade). And as far as the Boy Scouts are concerned, I admit if it is considered a public organization, they should permit gays to be scouts. But there is a lot of debate about whether it's considered public or private. If it's private, they have the same right to freedom of association that all Americans have. But I would like to add....why would ANYONE want to be part of ANY organization if they don't support the beliefs and tenets of that organization?

Last edited by Pathwalker; 11-09-2007 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality