Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,397,853 times

Advertisements

I watch any sports on tv and I can see sports celebrities getting mad and dropping the "F" bomb, saying the Lord's name in vain, whatever. I don't hear the words, but sure can tell what they are saying! Today, we actually hear swearing, like "Go to He**" in regular tv shows! People who serve the public, like the Manager (man) of our storage---one of the Managers (lady) of our apt. complex, at times say words that simply are not appropriate. They know that talking this way to the public is wrong, but seem to "not care at all".
My wife simply tells me not to talk with these people. She tells me to only talk "business" with these people, that's it. And, a lot of swearing is done today in the workplace. Heck, I've even noticed a certain amount of swearing in some of these Forums......especially the Relationship one!
So, what is going on out there with all of this totally inappropriate language??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,562 times
Who says cuss words in public is wrong?

I've got no problems with "curse" words. I like them, and use them frequently. I'm a firm believer that words are only "bad" because we give them the power to be. If somebody said "sticks" everytime they stubbed their toe, than guess what? Eventually, "sticks" would get a negative connotation attached to it, and be declared a 'bad word'.

ETA: This is the second thread here in R&P from you, by the way, going postal on what other people choose to do with their personal lives. Why on earth do you concern yourself with what other people do so much? Live and let live, man!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 9,587 times
I am not a 'holy-roller' kind of person in the least, and I don't have a huge problem with people swearing in moderation (I have let the D word fall from my lips on occasion) but I can absolutely agree that swearing does seem to have gotten out of hand!

I was watching "The Biggest Loser" the other day and was blown away that words like the B word were being used freely, that the A word and S word were being flicked out (albeit with bleeping) at several different opportunities.

It's not just on reality shows, either. Apparently a newsman dropped the F word the other day... on the evening news!

I think this has to do with a lack of respect both for ourselves and for those around us. I think it shows that we've become used to expressing things "as they happen" without reflection or consideration of what's happening around us. I think decorum and respectability and decency in america have been swept under the door.

I think what's happening to Joe Wilson is ridiculous. That man has earned $2 million dollars in donations because he called the President of the United States a liar. The fact that people have come to his defense is, in my opinion, indefensible. No matter if it's accurate or not, the President of the United States addressed the Congress of the United States - that's an important thing! It was a moment when civility, decorum, and professionalism should have held deep, unabided sway. That we can defend the remarks of an imbicile shouting "You Lie!" in one of the most hallowed halls of our nation, shows just how depraved we've become. And the other side says "we" are the immoral ones!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,582,830 times
Sad to say but it just has become more acceptable today,I don't like swearing myself especially when the Lord's name in vain is used. The media keeps pushing the envelope and before you know it ,you will hear all 4-letter dirty words on regular T.V. You try to correct somebody today about their filthy language and they look at you like you are crazy.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpxvx View Post

I think what's happening to Joe Wilson is ridiculous. That man has earned $2 million dollars in donations because he called the President of the United States a liar. The fact that people have come to his defense is, in my opinion, indefensible.
Wait, the truth is indefensible?

Quote:
No matter if it's accurate or not, the President of the United States addressed the Congress of the United States - that's an important thing!
The lead cockroach squeaking to all the other cockroaches about the upcoming pantry-raid. Yes, that's very important.

Quote:
It was a moment when civility, decorum, and professionalism should have held deep, unabided sway.
Did you know that in times past, pre-TV, Congress would occasionally break out in fistfights over legislation? They are filthy, lying, scumbag politicians. Decorum is for show and pretense. Genuine respect doesn't exist on the Potomac.

Quote:
That we can defend the remarks of an imbicile shouting "You Lie!" in one of the most hallowed halls of our nation, shows just how depraved we've become. And the other side says "we" are the immoral ones!
I think the depravity showed up the moment any decent, self-respecting person gave up a iota of authority to any of the swine in politics today, no offense meant to any genuine porcine reading this.

The idea that these egotistical sycophants have any respect from anyone at all is abhorrent. As nation, we should bring back tar and feathering for politicians who lie, and far worse for politicians who violate individual rights with their legislation.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,015 times
You're thinking of sentence enhancers which are always appropriate.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Sad to say but it just has become more acceptable today,I don't like swearing myself especially when the Lord's name in vain is used. The media keeps pushing the envelope and before you know it ,you will hear all 4-letter dirty words on regular T.V. You try to correct somebody today about their filthy language and they look at you like you are crazy.
Ya gotta lighten up...They are just words and there is nothing dirty or filthy about words... For every word you consider filthy there is an acceptable alternative....You say feces I say s**t....What's the difference?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
I swear all the time but I avoid it when I'm around people who might be offended by it. I'd never swear in front of my Mother for example. As far as the behavior of individuals in the world of politics is concerned it's actually much tamer than it was a century ago. Conventions and other gatherings were often very rowdy events in which people would throw tomatoes and really get out of hand. It's nothing like that these days, everything is scripted and planned in great detail. I think the behavior of Joe Wilson was inappropriate but the fact that it got so much attention actually shows what a rare event it is.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,451,940 times
Default Why Do People Swear So Much Today?

I don't think people today swear any more than in the past, really. It's just become more "acceptable" to do it in front of cameras and microphones. Another symptom of the coarsening of our culture.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I don't think people today swear any more than in the past, really. It's just become more "acceptable" to do it in front of cameras and microphones. Another symptom of the coarsening of our culture.
I also think the cameras and microphones have become more prevalent, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality