Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times

Advertisements

The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis is mythical and immoral. The story shows that it's acceptable to punish people for the sins of others (original sin), death is a suitable punishment for disobedience and approves of incest.

Incest

After Adam and Eve had children, how did they proceed onto the third generation? Their children must have slept with each other, or their own parents.

The same applies to the story of Noah's Ark, Lot and his daughters.

The main problem is biological. Interbreeding two families causes severe retardation, mutation and infertility.

The only biologically correct explanation known is that we evolved slowly from lower animals so that incest was never a problem.

Original Sin and Free Will

Adam and Eve did not know of good and evil. They were innocent. They couldn't have known that the "talking snake" was lying to them. But if God is all knowing, and knew that they would have believed the serpent, why did God not stop the serpent? Why the "test" if He knew the outcome?

If God knows what we will do before it happens, what good is Free Will?

The story is immoral on many counts.
1. Incest.
2. Punishing one person for the actions of another.
3. Misogyny, in Genesis, Eve, in particular, was given immense blame and said to have caused all of womankind to be inferior, naturally inclined to sin.
4. And more importantly, to think humanity came from Adam and Eve is biologically incorrect.

So to those that believe in the Bible and believe it is the absolute truth. How can you base your life in a book in which the very foundation of it is flawed beyond comprehension and morality?

Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis is mythical and immoral. The story shows that it's acceptable to punish people for the sins of others (original sin), death is a suitable punishment for disobedience and approves of incest.

Incest

After Adam and Eve had children, how did they proceed onto the third generation? Their children must have slept with each other, or their own parents.

The same applies to the story of Noah's Ark, Lot and his daughters.

The main problem is biological. Interbreeding two families causes severe retardation, mutation and infertility.

The only biologically correct explanation known is that we evolved slowly from lower animals so that incest was never a problem.

Original Sin and Free Will

Adam and Eve did not know of good and evil. They were innocent. They couldn't have known that the "talking snake" was lying to them. But if God is all knowing, and knew that they would have believed the serpent, why did God not stop the serpent? Why the "test" if He knew the outcome?

If God knows what we will do before it happens, what good is Free Will?

The story is immoral on many counts.
1. Incest.
2. Punishing one person for the actions of another.
3. Misogyny, in Genesis, Eve, in particular, was given immense blame and said to have caused all of womankind to be inferior, naturally inclined to sin.
4. And more importantly, to think humanity came from Adam and Eve is biologically incorrect.

So to those that believe in the Bible and that it is the absolute truth. How can you base your life in a book in which the very foundation of it is flawed beyond comprehension and morality?

Peace!
PHM, why all the trouble and thought needed for this post in something you don't even believe in?

Does it trouble you that believers believe?

I mean, even now, an entire forum set aside for religion. You can't say someone's shoving this down your throat. You came to a religion forum and posted....

I don't get that really.

Anyway.

Peace back to you as well.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
PHM I've gotta say that is a very bold statement that the word of God is immoral.
I don't know where you get that God is punishing one for anothers sin. Both ate the fruit after being warned not to.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
PHM, why all the trouble and thought needed for this post in something you don't even believe in?

Does it trouble you that believers believe?

I mean, even now, an entire forum set aside for religion. You can't say someone's shoving this down your throat. You came to a religion forum and posted....

I don't get that really.

Anyway.

Peace back to you as well.
I think you have me mix up, Alpha. I love religious discussion. I think it was Yap that said the "shoving this down your throat" comment. This isn't the first religious thread I've started.

It does trouble me that a person would believe in a story like Adam and Eve. I started this thread to get others POV on the story. How can someone justify such immorality? If the begining of the book is flawed, how can you give the rest of it any credibility?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
PHM I've gotta say that is a very bold statement that the word of God is immoral.
I don't know where you get that God is punishing one for anothers sin. Both ate the fruit after being warned not to.
If the bible is the word of God and that same book approves of incest, slavery, and the punishing of another's sin, then it would have to be immoral. No?

And if no, why not?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM

PHM, Seriously, how do you think the 1st man and woman came into being if not by a Creator?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
PHM, Seriously, how do you think the 1st man and woman came into being if not by a Creator?
As I stated in my original post, I believe we evolved slowly from lower animals. But if you believe in Adam and Eve explain how we avoided retardation and mutation? Explain how incest is moral?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
It does trouble me that a person would believe in a story like Adam and Eve. I started this thread to get others POV on the story. How can someone justify such immorality? If the begining of the book is flawed, how can you give the rest of it any credibility?
Since I know you've been in several posts where I have discussed the way Christ changed the Old Law, I won't go into that here unless some specifically asks for it.

Also, according to your OP, this was before sin and so, before immorality, so maybe you did a better job of explaining this to yourself than anyone else could.

Lastly, sorry if I mixed you up with someone else. I was under the impression you were a staunch, non-believing, atheist who wanted nothing to do with any organized or disorganized religion.

If you are genuinely searching for answers, I stand corrected and apologize for my curtness.

Like I've said in preivious posts, I'm not in threads about Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy....because I don't believe in any of them.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Well I really don't think there was much choice who to mate with in the beginning, and it is not a given that retardation will result just a higher chance.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Quote:
Despite all of the push for creationism it is still a fact that evolution is the natural process that created the variety of life that exists today. Evolution is the basis for all biology and explains the relationship between all living things. It makes no sense to be living in the twenty first century and arguing about a fact that was discovered before the Civil War. Origin of Species was published in 1859. It is obvious that the author of Genesis didn't have the foggiest idea about life's beginnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality