Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM

76 posts, read 190,516 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've just started to research about meditation and it is truly overwhelming So much information to absorb in one sitting. I've been reading for 4 hours about it's history, techniques, methods and so on.

What techniques do you use and how long have you been meditating?

Can anybody suggest an active online forum dedicated to all that is meditation?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwick View Post
Hey all,

I've just started to research about meditation and it is truly overwhelming So much information to absorb in one sitting. I've been reading for 4 hours about it's history, techniques, methods and so on.

What techniques do you use and how long have you been meditating?

Can anybody suggest an active online forum dedicated to all that is meditation?

Cheers!
just do it.
keep it simple.
or sit around and talk about it.
it's funny ... talking on-line about meditation is kinda the antithesis of meditation.
if you need more info, i'd suggest going to a quiet bookstore (preferably a spiritual one) and read ... find what you're drawn to ... what you resonate with and embark.
if you're sincere about it, do it.
if you're not, intellectualize about it with other people who wanna talk about anything and everything regarding meditation and spirituality.
if you want quality information, i'd find it by reading books or articles written by people who have been meditating for a long time as opposed to people who like to hear themselves "talk".
If you resonate with eastern spiritual practices, hone in there.
but getting your information from other relatively inexperienced people ? why ?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
set aside a quite time to meditate in a place and at a time where you know that you won't be distracted by others.
early morning and evening are ideal times (although if you're into getting up between 3am and 4am ) as the craziness of the day will not be an issue.
unplug phone ... turn off computer ... radio, t.v., etc.
creating a space that is just for your meditation can be helpful and, if you're religious or spiritual, creating an "alter" can be helpful.
candle ... image(s) of a deity that you resonate with, etc.
it's definitely not necessary though.
sit in a relaxed pose with your spine straight.
you don't need to be in a lotus position.
if your body is able, sit in a half lotus position.
or sit in a chair that is comfortable but that encourages you to keep your spine straight.
a very simple and essential meditation technique is the observation of your breath.
breathe deeply and evenly .... through your nose .... fill your belly with the inhale and then exhale through your nose.
observe your thoughts without attachment ... as if your mind were a blue sky and every thought a cloud passing by.
feelings come up ... observe them without attachment ... let them go.
block nothing ... attach to nothing.
one of the main challenges is having thoughts and feelings and perhaps "visions" (at some point) that catch you ... mesmerize you.
intense feelings, whether "good" or "bad" will be a distraction.
interesting thoughts or "visions", etc. will be a distraction.
an itch will be a distraction as will be hunger, discomfort in your body, etc..
the key is to continually bring yourself back to your meditation focus which, in this case, would be your breath.
if you lose awareness of your breath because, for example, you get distracted by a thought that leads to another thought and to another thought and so on .... at some point, you'll remember that you're to be focusing on your breath.
no judgment or thoughts about why you got distracted, etc. ... just come back to your breath.
it's really simple and really challenging.
people often want cool experiences in meditation and will get mesmerized by them and attached to them.
that's part of the challenge.
(if you want cool experiences, take some mushrooms).
also, the more physically relaxed your body, the more easy it is to sit and meditate.
so, if you don't practice hatha yoga (postures / asanas) do some simple stretches and anything else that will help you to be relaxed in your body so as to avoid restlessness and fidgeting.
set a timer.
start with a relatively short sitting.
maybe 20 minutes?
whatever feels right to you.
the timer will allow you to focus on your meditation without being distracted by linear time.
bon voyage.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 08-24-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Is coyote okay?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
^i41 cannot guarantee that.

to op, statement, question, and screen name:

YouTube - Wolfgang Ambros - Zwickts Me

pop-up in my medi(t)ations:

Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 73,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
so, if you don't practice hatha yoga (postures / asanas) do some simple stretches and anything else that will help you to be relaxed in your body so as to avoid restlessness and fidgeting.
Stretching before meditation thats a good idea, I'll try that

Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
A lot of people never realised how much goes on inside the head zone because they never knew how vast it can be. It's amazing how lucid our thinking can become if we set aside the clutter, and really pay attention to what we feel, and see.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 PM

22,212 posts, read 19,238,916 times
turn off the computer
sit in silence with your eyes closed for 15 minutes every morning and every evening
pay attention to your breathing (slow breath in, slow breath out)

that is a start. see if you can that for 30 days.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol Kahn View Post
Stretching before meditation thats a good idea, I'll try that
stretch what? limitations?

"if we chase after meditation it will never come, and yet to the interested mind it may appear spontaneously."

(forgive me, i forgot the name of the author of this quotation.)

Last edited by effie g-tad; 08-30-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM

34 posts, read 73,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
stretch what? limitations?

"if we chase after meditation it will never come, and yet to the interested mind it may appear spontaneously."

(forgive me, i forgot the name of the author of this quotation.)
Huh , just basic physical stretching. Just like a runner would do.

I don't know where the quote is from, prince Siddhartha maybe. I never said I was an expert on Buddhism. Maybe you are just going right over my head. I've read a few books and been going to temple for a while so I guess I'm a real Buddhist. Maybe that makes me not-Buddhist, I don't know, does it matter?

Am I missing something here? How exactly would I stretch my limitations before meditating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality