Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,736,741 times

Advertisements

Meditation- Whatever works best for you, given your personal circumstances and temperament, the important thing is to do it regularly, preferably every day.
I would also recommend that you keep the session to a length of time that feels comfortable. This is because in the early stages of meditation it's easy to become discouraged and have thoughts along the lines of: "This might work for other people, but I don't have the right personality/mind/lifestyle/ partner for meditation." Or: "I've been doing this for six months and my concentration is no better than when I started." With thoughts like these, you may start to resent the time you spend meditating and consider giving up.
Much better to keep your practice light and easy to begin with; short sessions, and concentrated attention, especially towards the end of your practice so that you "finish like a winner" and feel encouraged for the next day. Better to end a short session thinking you could have gone on longer than keep glancing at your watch with the thought that has passed through the mind of every meditator at some stage--"My watch must have stopped. It's been longer than two minutes--surely?!"
Having reviewed the meditation practices outlined in the previous chapter, you may decide you quite like the sound of several of them. On what basis should they be practiced? My own preference is to have a simple calendar of activity so that, for example, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are breath-counting days; Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are visualization days; and Sundays are for whatever I'm in the mood to do.
On this point, I once asked a high-ranking Tibetan lama which of a number of meditation practices I should focus on. He gave me an indulgent smile and said simply, "Whichever you enjoy the most." D'oh!
--from Hurry Up and Meditate: Your Starter Kit for Inner Peace and Better Health by David Michie, published by Snow Lion Publications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality