Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM

275 posts, read 687,671 times

Advertisements

Any one familiar with archaeology please explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,848,652 times
Until the ruins of Jericho was found, the city (and accompanying story) were thought of as pure myth.

But there still is no Egyptian based evidence for the story of the Exodus. My dad is also chomping at the bit to dig for the ark under the temple mount (as if that will ever happen)

Old 07-17-2009, 04:25 PM

222 posts, read 581,841 times
There is no any archeological confirmation of Moses story. There is no any Hebrew letters inside of pyramids, no stars of David, no anything even close.
A lot of people believe that this Bible story is true because Israel and Egypt are very close.
1. In fact Judaism didn't exist that time at all. So no way Jews would be able to be in Egypt 4000 years ago.
2. Archeologist believe that Judaism was established around 3500 years ago, when pyramids was already built.
3. Moses name sounds like ancient Egyptian name (similar to Ramses).
4. Pyramids was built by contraction - contractors, and not by slaves. There are many proofs of that based on archeological site, city of pyramid builder.

My theory: May be some group ope people really left Egypt for some reasons. May be they in fact was slaves, but they just created some different religion when they escaped. Later that story get new "details" like walking on the bottom of a Red sea, and we got a legend.

P.S. I'm not archeologist, so please correct me if I'm wrong with some digits. I'm study some part of archeology like a hobby.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,043 times
I think we need to make a distinction between actual historial locations where real people lived as opposed to supernatural events. My opinion of the Bible is that it's a mix of all sorts of literature from that time which would include certain historical facts, people who really existed, mythology, and events that are purely fictional. It's really a mixed bag which you can't say is all true or all false. This is also true of other cultures. Egypt and Greece are obviously real physical locations that still exist today but I don't think that anyone in this day and age believe in the gods that their ancient civilizations believed in. Some of the god beliefs died out in these cultures but Christianity still exists in our current culture and still has a very influential following in english speaking countries.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM

221 posts, read 380,097 times
What is so cool about digging is that it doesn't necessarily make a hole.
It sometimes fills a hole.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,665,805 times
My son spent two years in a Christian private school that the state of North Carolina constantly gave a hard time because they taught the Christian view of Science. One of the students told me that with the Christian science study method there were no gaps as there seems to be in the evolution method. She said the time of Noah's ark would fit right in with the ice age, etc. She went on to tell about other things that fit when the evolution teachings did not, but that was the one that stuck in my mind.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,078,110 times
There have been plenty of things confirmed by archaeology, but I'm not aware of much, if anything, contradicting the Bible.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,044,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There have been plenty of things confirmed by archaeology, but I'm not aware of much, if anything, contradicting the Bible.
What???

How about the whole fossil record?

Oh, that has been discussed in another thread.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,078,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
What???

How about the whole fossil record?

Oh, that has been discussed in another thread.
What about it?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,044,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What about it?
It contradicts the bible. See the Dinosaur thread. Well, don't play dumb, you have posted to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality