Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,913,136 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of new to this forum...traveled over because we are relocating to Austin, Texas this summer. Anyway, I've noticed something and I'm wondering if this is "business as usual" around here.

It seems like for the most part people are very much able to agree to disagree! I mean there are debates and discussions but I haven't seen anyone personally attacked or put down. I find this amazing and such an awesome part of this forum because you can actually get more info, or give it, in an honest way.

Have I just not been online long enough? I think ya'll (good Texas practice right there) are all pretty awesome...even if we disagree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,913,136 times
p.s. The only downside to this is I have no time to be online as much as I have been!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I'm sort of new to this forum...traveled over because we are relocating to Austin, Texas this summer. Anyway, I've noticed something and I'm wondering if this is "business as usual" around here.

It seems like for the most part people are very much able to agree to disagree! I mean there are debates and discussions but I haven't seen anyone personally attacked or put down. I find this amazing and such an awesome part of this forum because you can actually get more info, or give it, in an honest way.

Have I just not been online long enough? I think ya'll (good Texas practice right there) are all pretty awesome...even if we disagree!
Well, I bet most would agree on this one thing: even though lots of us may disagree with each other, we do learn quite a bit about the various different beliefs...

Bud

Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
Jazz, we have gotten to know each other pretty well here, and by your posts you are surely one of us too. There are some pretty heated debates at times. You will notice that we know pretty much when to take time out. We have a joke thread that we use sometimes to turn things around. We have a couple of good mods here. But we try real hard to get along. We have a prayer thread. As you already know we are not all believers in this forum. The athiest, agnostics, wiccans and any that I didn't mention are exceptionally intelligent, friendly and funny and I love them all. I have learned so much from them..I hope you stay with us

Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,014,241 times
There are times when things do get heated . Most of us have been guilty of getting a little too carried away at times, however, for the most part...this is a WONDERFUL group of people!
There is always going to be the trolls that come on here and like to stir up trouble, but the mods usually take care of the problem pretty quickly!

I have met some terrific people on here, Christians and Atheists . You want debate...you got it! You want prayer...you got it! You wanna laugh...you got it!

I also think it is great that you have noticed how cordial the forum is! I would also like to welcome you to the forum! It's always nice to see another believer!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 AM

668 posts, read 682,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post

Welcome to Austin Jazzed. It's a nice place where people seem to accept eachothers opinions for the most part. And for once I agree with every thing you say in regards to this board. It is a good learning experience, and a good place to politely discuss our differences.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 AM

646 posts, read 1,611,204 times
I think that it is because the people who debate enjoy the exchange of ideas. That does not mean that MontanaGuy is not convinced of his atheism, or alpha of his christianity. It simply means that they (and me, and others) enjoy the debate.

If people get too stressed by this, I think they leave of their own accord.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM

23,024 posts, read 34,412,070 times
Yes we have it all here. I think over all almost everyone here really respects the other persons point of view. There are some some wonderful caring loving people here. It's not about trying to change anyone, at least I'm not. Welcome Jazz and as for Texas, well I may live here, but I don't like it, doesn't mean you won't.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,203,921 times
I think we're all doing good now, Jazzed. I really enjoy these forums and enjoy debating and exchanging ideas with everyone on them...well most everyone, LOL.

You should have been here a coupla weeks ago though...a few of us (me included) did get kinda crazy...religion brings out strong opinions and feelings in people!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,870,356 times
It all comes down to good moderation by people running the site. I've even been reprimanded a few times, and I know I was out of line. I've been on forums with much more lax moderation and it is complete chaos and drivel.

It keeps things mature and congenial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality